An Old School Catholic Message Board

Debate Over The Right To Compel People To Make Gay/antigay Cakes

Oremus Pro Invicem

To Bake or Not to Bake, That is the Question !

What real good is it doing either way in a moral sense at the very least; to do either ?

And as in the case with the Christian bakery that was first involved in this, how does saying, this is my beliefs, MY Religion, show the love of Christ to those involved.

Does doing either bring anyone any closer to Christ.

( it is a rhetorical set of questions )

PhuturePriest

To Bake or Not to Bake, That is the Question !

What real good is it doing either way in a moral sense at the very least; to do either ?

And as in the case with the Christian bakery that was first involved in this, how does saying, this is my beliefs, MY Religion, show the love of Christ to those involved.

Does doing either bring anyone any closer to Christ.

( it is a rhetorical set of questions )

It's not about bringing them closer to Christ, it's about not participating in something which is sinful. When a group of my friends started making inappropriate jokes, I pointedly told them I couldn't participate. Did that bring any of them closer to Christ? Hopefully, but that's not the point. The point is not participating in and encouraging their sinful behavior.

The homosexuals who requested a cake for their wedding were just asking for a cake. They didnt want it to say "Gay power!!" or "Down with traditional marriage!". They just wanted a wedding cake.

But if they want it decorated in such a way to celebrate a sodomite union (such as by the message inscribed on the cake or two people of the same gender on top of the cake), then that is not "just a cake", but a statement as well.

Edited by Norseman82

It's not about bringing them closer to Christ, it's about not participating in something which is sinful. When a group of my friends started making inappropriate jokes, I pointedly told them I couldn't participate. Did that bring any of them closer to Christ? Hopefully, but that's not the point. The point is not participating in and encouraging their sinful behavior.

This post gets the "golden hammer" award, because it hits the nail squarely on the head and brings up an important point that many people miss in today's world and that should be preached more often, since it seems that many Catholics no longer look at the world through this lens. 

Edited by Norseman82

But if they want it decorated in such a way to celebrate a sodomite union (such as by the message inscribed on the cake or two people of the same gender on top of the cake), then that is not "just a cake", but a statement as well.

Axe to grind?

Who grinds an axe? That would completely destroy the integrity of the blade.

Not necessarily, if the steel is relatively decent quality and you are not too aggressive with the grinder.

You proved my point, on two levels, the first that you cant keep up with me,

the second that exactly no one is even considering bringing people closer to Christ in this situation which should be the real focus, but instead people choose to a pointless stance instead.

PhuturePriest

Not necessarily, if the steel is relatively decent quality and you are not too aggressive with the grinder.

I suppose it depends where you're grinding it.

PhuturePriest

the second that exactly no one is even considering bringing people closer to Christ in this situation which should be the real focus, but instead people choose to a pointless stance instead.

You're really sexy when you're so blatantly ignorant of Catholic moral ethics.

You're really sexy when you're so blatantly ignorant of Catholic moral ethics.

movies-anchorman-19.jpg

I would take that as an inflammatory insult but I have to question first your level of understanding of what you think you know about Catholic moral ethics before I can really make that judgment, divide that by if I really care about what you think you know, subtract that by the amount of time it takes to bake a cake, and then ipsofacto it still turns out that what you pretend to officially know is really only that, pretend.

Oremus Pro Invicem

He actually countered your incorrect assumption that indifference to sin is charitable and a path which brings people closer to Christ. Maybe you can explain how offering to make a cake that would support and celebrate a union in which two individuals will lose their souls for eternity, separating them from Christ for eternity, is working toward bringing them closer to Christ?