An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan/poor Clare Prayer?

onajourney

Just a question that I've wondered about...  I've seen many photos of Franciscan sisters and Poor Clares in prayer with their community with their arms raised.  It may happen in other Orders/Congregations, but the pictures I've seen always seem to be Franciscan/Poor Clare related and are found in photos from communities in various countries.  I haven't seen it in photos of Franciscan Friars, just sisters and nuns.  Is it some tradition or particular prayer that is being said?  

Just a question that I've wondered about...  I've seen many photos of Franciscan sisters and Poor Clares in prayer with their community with their arms raised.  It may happen in other Orders/Congregations, but the pictures I've seen always seem to be Franciscan/Poor Clare related and are found in photos from communities in various countries.  I haven't seen it in photos of Franciscan Friars, just sisters and nuns.  Is it some tradition or particular prayer that is being said?  

Yes, it is a traditional Franciscan/Poor Clare tradition - the Cross prayer.  Different communities have different traditions about when and how often it is said, but it something like 12 Our Fathers, Hail Marys and Glorias while the arms are outstretched.