An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monks Supporting Themselves

onajourney

Not many of these surprise me.  A few years ago, my mother asked each of us to get something for everyone's stockings and was quite concerned when I had a box from "Monastery Greetings" arrive at the house.  Is she foisting rosaries on us?  Candles?  Really?

No!  Jams!  Yummy!

But, I have to admit, the ski academy did set me back a little.  Huh!

As Onajourney's web link references beer-making...know that the Trappist monks of St. Joseph's Abbey (Spencer, MA) have taken up the more common European monastic practice of brewing/selling ale--

along with their delicious jams & jellies! :beer:

http://www.nydn.us/1dxy2Tu

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The funny thing is that the first photo isn't a monk but a Dominican friar!

Interesting stuff. Makes soaps and candles sound boring!

#9 Although Buddhist Monks, was an interesting departure from the norm.  I've heard of churches opening coffee and tea houses here in the US - maybe a similar concept.

Japan takes brewing a step further with a Buddhist Monk-run bar called Vow'z Bar. The bar is meant to be a more casual environment for spirituality. "When people have had a few drinks, it’s often easier to communicate with them on spiritual matters here than it is talking at a temple," Yoshinobu Fujioka, Buddhist priest and owner of Vow'z Bar, told CNN Travel. The bar hosts events for visitors to come and discuss Buddhism.

Lots of British monasteries seem to make and sell honey. Some have returned to the mediaeval tradition of brewing, or sell their excess produce (I often buy cider made by the Carthusians and sold by the farm shop down the road, and the Benedictines on the Isle of Wight have piles of Asparagus to sell in early summer).