An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines Of Mary Solemn Profession Pics

Feankie

The nuns have just posted 99 , that's right all you photo junkies, 99 photos of 3 nuns who made their Solemn Professions on Feb 3rd. Just beautiful!

You can also preorder their new CD.

benedictinesofmary.org

Edited by Francis Clare

Lovely! Thank you for sharing. I know one of the postulants so getting to see her in a couple of the pictures was great.

You know you've been around a while when you start seeing the professions of women you saw as postulants... ;) Congrulations to them!

I'm glad you posted this: I kept wondering if and when they would have their final professions - the first since their big big ceremony a couple years back.

Probably a silly question to ask but I am only really familiar with the Poor Clares.  Why did the 3 nuns exchange their  black veils for another?  Is the shape different?  The meaning different?  Can you help me out on this one?

I'm guessing that it is a blessed veil. Hopefully Sr Mary Catherine will chime in because I believe they so something similar in her community. Looking at the pictures, it does look like the veil is longer.

These Benedictines used to exchange the black veil for a navy blue one at their solemn profession. I believe that veil was worn on only very special occasions. As you can see in the pictures below. I believe they have since stopped using the navy veils, but perhaps they now receive a blessed or special black veil for their solemn profession.

b-o-m.jpg.

f0ba0c2da384b672fe17bb78ad114ed2.jpg

10_05_15_Benedictines_05.JPG

Edited by Kayte Postle

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Everyone always asks this! The new black veil is BLESSED and is considered our veil of consecration. A "hint" of the consecration of virgins. It is a sign that our life of virginity is gift of grace from the Church. Some communities have a shorter veil for 1st profession and a longer veil for final but in reality that never seems to work! It probably doesn't hold so strictly now but it used to be that only nuns in solemn vows had their veil specially blessed at solemn Profession.

For us, at 1st profession the rite just says that the black veil is given and put on by novice mistress and prioress. At solemn profession it is the IMPOSITION OF THE VEIL and is done by the prioress. Our prioresses usually want a little help to move things along. Some communities the bishop imposes the veil. I believe the Benedictines do that but for us Dominicans the prioress does everything but the ring which is given by the bishop.

I was wondering if they were going to continue that blue veil thing and suspected they wouldn't.

Did they keep the inside lining red? I thought that was beautiful. They really are s beautiful order!

It looks like they haven't.  I thought the old veil was really beautiful and symbolic, but it was totally out of tradition for Benedictines and in the end I imagine entirely impractical because they would be switching veils several times a day.

Thank you so much for explaining that Sr. Mary Catharine! I also wondered about that a little too (why she was receiving another black veil when she had one before) after seeing that beautiful video from Peru you posted here a few months ago. I should have realized that, knowing the Profession and Veiling are always mentioned in Carmelite ceremonies and used to be done separately. It's always really interesting to learn about the customs of the different Orders, and how the Profession ceremonies have their roots in the Consecration of Virgins. 

I was just looking through some of the Solemn Profession booklets I have collected from a few Carmels, and the Ceremonies booklet from 1932 (got it on eBay :like:).

In that Ceremonies booklet (which is not the Ceremonial, but really short/ excerpts from the Manual of public ceremonies) there is not even a ceremony for the Profession (while there is for The Investiture) but just "The Veiling" which includes within it a Votive Mass of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. I  don't believe it is strictly required that a Bishop preside over this ceremony and offer the Mass like the Consecration of Virgins being strictly from the Roman Pontifical. It is written as Celebrant. But usually it is always the Bishop, now and in the past. The Bishop/Celebrant also veils the Nun and it says "in such a way as to cover her face" Very Carmelite :ninja:

Then after a few more prayers and blessings, he intones the Te Deum and the Nun prostrates in the middle of the choir while it is chanted "and the bells are rung festively" I think I remember reading somewhere that in the old rite of the Consecration of Virgins there was the Te Deum and prostration at the end too. 

Now in most Carmels the Solemn Profession and Veiling is done together publicly and at a Mass. But before the profession was always in private in the chapter room, and just the Veiling public, either on the same day or "on some other day chosen" 

The Carmels of Jesus, Mary and Joseph though started doing it that way like five years ago. I believe they received special permission as I just checked, and it does have a footnote in the 1990 Constitutions after the part in the original Constitutions where it says they are to be in private, in the presence of the community only, that they are now to take place during Mass.

Anyway, it is all very interesting to learn about!  :bible:

Oh one other thing.. When the Bishop is blessing the veil (from the 1932 Ceremonies book) the Nuns chant the Amo Christum which we were talking about in the other thread too, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/121149-discalced-carmelite-nun-communities/?p=2703407 It sounds like it's the same for Dominicans. 

Oh then I just noticed (edit) after that, the Bishop/Celebrant intones the Veni Sponsa Christi, and the Nuns continue it, when he goes to the grate with the blessed veil to veil her. I like that he is calling her a bride of Christ specifically there.

During the prostration do Dominican Nuns chant the Te Deum too? I wonder what the Benedictines do. Anyway :like:

Edited by Chiquitunga