Makarioi Posted February 10, 2015 Posted February 10, 2015 To many "b" sounds for me for Barringer to go with Elizabeth. Some folks say Barrin'ger' ( like a grrrrr) and others say "jer". Folks I know from 'my' generation kept their maiden name as part of their name as it connects you to your family: my driver license is my first, maiden, and married name. It came in handy when taking care of my parents and dealing with docs and hospitals.
Amppax Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 (edited) I am changing my vote, Ponswinnecke would sound really cool. Especially if pronounced in a British accent. Assuming of course that you are pronouncing it the same way I am in my head. Just realized you're not. I thought it was pon-swin-EKE-y It still gets my vote though. Edited February 11, 2015 by Amppax
dUSt Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 I wonder how I'd pronounce that. Teb-ah-zil... The H is silent.
Lilllabettt Posted February 11, 2015 Author Posted February 11, 2015 Teb-ah-zil... The H is silent. I might do that one just to mess with people.
PhuturePriest Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 http://youtu.be/1sxj0hJI-Tw?t=3m34s Watch that through 4:47
Lilllabettt Posted February 11, 2015 Author Posted February 11, 2015 (edited) Phuture thats my life with my last name currently. I don't care except when I have to spell it - I have a t right next to an e and nobody ever hears it right. I have to say t as in tom, e as in egg. Edited February 11, 2015 by Lilllabettt
PhuturePriest Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 Phuture thats my life with my last name currently. I don't care except when I have to spell it - I have a t right next to an e and nobody ever hears it right. I have to say t as in tom, e as in egg. Maybe I'm just gifted at languages, but I've never had issues pronouncing supposedly unpronounceable last names. I even find Polish names to be relatively easy.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 Maybe I'm just gifted at languages, but I've never had issues pronouncing supposedly unpronounceable last names. I even find Polish names to be relatively easy. How about Ľubomír Višňovský?
PhuturePriest Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 (edited) How about Ľubomír Višňovský? Lu-bo-mere Vis-novsky, possibly an "O" or an "ah" noise, depending on what type of name it is. It appears to be Russian, due to the name having a 'v' rather than a 'w', so it's likely an "ah" noise. Germans and Poles use 'w' for their 'v' noises, but Russians simply use a 'v'. Edited February 11, 2015 by PhuturePriest
Nihil Obstat Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 Close. ;) http://www.forvo.com/word/%C4%BEubom%C3%ADr_vi%C5%A1%C5%88ovsk%C3%BD/ One more: Dustin Byfuglien.
PhuturePriest Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 Close. ;) http://www.forvo.com/word/%C4%BEubom%C3%ADr_vi%C5%A1%C5%88ovsk%C3%BD/ One more: Dustin Byfuglien. Ah. It appears I forgot the far-too-common "sh" noise whenever an 's' is involved. B-yu-glee-in.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 Ah. It appears I forgot the far-too-common "sh" noise whenever an 's' is involved. B-yu-glee-in. Not even close on that one. :hehe: /ˈbʌflɨn/ buf-lin or local /baɪfuːɡliən/ by-foo-glee-ən Anytime I have heard it on tv it has been ˈbʌflɨn. I was reading that it is a Norwegian name, and that baɪfuːɡliən comes from that pronunciation.
PhuturePriest Posted February 11, 2015 Posted February 11, 2015 Not even close on that one. :hehe: /ˈbʌflɨn/ buf-lin or local /baɪfuːɡliən/ by-foo-glee-ən Anytime I have heard it on tv it has been ˈbʌflɨn. I was reading that it is a Norwegian name, and that baɪfuːɡliən comes from that pronunciation. Hm. I figured the 'f' would be silent. Perhaps I'm too familiar with Polish, which seems to disregard 90% of its letters in words. :P Case in point: Wojtyla.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted February 12, 2015 Posted February 12, 2015 What's wrong with simply Lilllabettt? Do you mean using Lillabettt as a last name? Or simply using Lillabettt as the only name? If Lillabettt was used as the last name, as in "Elizabeth Lillabettt" it would be repetitive, since Lillabett is a nickname for Elizabeth. (Queen Elizabeth II was called Lillabett by family members as a child, and may still be called that by close family members, for all I know.) As for using Lillabettt as the only name, like "Cher" or "Madonna," it would be impractical, since every form (official or unofficial) that I have seen asks for first name and last name. For performers who use only one name professionally, I wouldn't be surprised if their actual legal name has a first and last name. (However, I didn't research this, so I don't know for sure. If I remember correctly, in Madonna's case, Madonna is her actual first name from birth, so it wouldn't surprise me if she uses her birth last name for legal purposes--but I have no idea what she does in actual practice.) From my own experience in choosing names, I found that practicality was a more important factor than I first realized.
Lilllabettt Posted February 13, 2015 Author Posted February 13, 2015 Lilllabettt is my nickname and as has been repeatedly established on this board, it is impossible to spell.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted February 13, 2015 Posted February 13, 2015 Lilllabettt is my nickname and as has been repeatedly established on this board, it is impossible to spell. Mea culpa. Although I realized that Lilllabettt had three T's, this was the first time I noticed it also had three L's. :paperbag:
Amppax Posted February 13, 2015 Posted February 13, 2015 Close. ;) http://www.forvo.com/word/%C4%BEubom%C3%ADr_vi%C5%A1%C5%88ovsk%C3%BD/ One more: Dustin Byfuglien. Hockey player?
truthfinder Posted February 13, 2015 Posted February 13, 2015 Not even close on that one. :hehe: /ˈbʌflɨn/ buf-lin or local /baɪfuːɡliən/ by-foo-glee-ən Anytime I have heard it on tv it has been ˈbʌflɨn. I was reading that it is a Norwegian name, and that baɪfuːɡliən comes from that pronunciation. Around my household, it was more common to pronounce it "buf-hooligan". But, true, typically pronounced Buf-lin. The other hockey player whose name raised some eyebrows was Patrick Roy - the way it looks, the way it should sound (in Canadian French), and the way that most sports commentators pronounced it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now