An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question For Any Texans

Ark

PhuturePriest

What, did you want me to move to Kansas? 

It's a lot less hot, and our Catholic universities are cooler. Want to live in a big town? We've got that. Want a secluded life? That can happen. Small town life? Done. Small town outside of a town of 500,000 people so you can have the best of both worlds? Done.

Very important since you are discerning married life: In my diocese, we have Catholic schools galore that are all ranked among the best in the State, and they are completely, 100% free, K-12. The diocese is very faithful, and you get the benefit of an exceptional Catholic education completely devoid of the Catholic education price tag.

All without humidity or rampant nationalism concerning the State.

franciscanheart

Austin is the best city if you are young and weird. Amazing music scene.

Houston is the worst. Thats where you will find humidity. Don't ever go there. It's terrible.

Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex has the best of everything. Two cities connected by passenger rail. Both cities are very different. Huge craft beer scene. All the major pro sports. Theme parks. Museums. Small towns and country surrounding you. And right smack dab in the middle of it all is the greatest city in Texas: Arlington, aka Ag Town, home to yours truly.

I agree with what he said. So here's how they rank in my mind:

1. Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW / DFDub)
2. Austin
127. Houston

Austin is a cool city and a great road trip from Dallas. They have Kerbey Lane and we don't but that's about it. :like:

The people that I know in the Spring area love it.  I'm down 45 in Galveston, that little barrier island off the coast.  We get a lot weekenders from Spring, if you care to be within driving distance of a beach.  We also have a super amazing Bishop/Cardinal in Houston.  Even my non-Catholic associates are impressed with Cardinal DiNardo. 

Humidity helps hydrate your skin and you look younger. One can get frostbite shoveling snow, I don't think that's an issue in Texas.

Only East Texas is humid.  Where I am in North Texas, it's pretty dry and considerably less humid most of the time than Virginia, where I lived before, though it does get a bit hotter.  (I actually like a certain amount of humidity, but I'm weird like that.)

In the five+ years I've lived here, I haven't experienced much extreme weather, except for the ongoing severe drought, though one time I did get my car dented by hail.

Ignore the fetus, who, as usual, doesn't know what he's talking about.

The people are really cool and friendly, the food is great, and, of course, the girls in Texas are just a little bit better.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7CxCz3ijfg[/media]

Edited by Socrates

franciscanheart

I'm driving into Willis for the first time today. I've driven through Willis before but never stopped. I'll let you know how it is.

Edited by franciscanheart

xTrishaxLynnx

Peace be with you all,

I'm considering moving out to Texas, for you brothers and sisters living there, any experience with Spring, TX? Any places you would recommend looking into?

I've spent several months in Spring, TX and thought it was great. There's plenty to do in Spring itself, but it's also pretty close to the city so you have tons of options. I also spent a lot of time in Houston while I was in the area. I never had an issue with the traffic, but I wasn't on the freeways at rush hour most days. Hearing gun shots every night I was in Houston was a little disconcerting, however. I'd go with Spring when choosing a place to live.

There are amazing food options in both places. Check out Teotihuacan Mexican Cafe (aka "Teo's") and the Spanish Flower in Houston, if you end up in the area. And Shipley donuts... om nom nom... donuts made fresh twice a day. We used to try to get there right after at 8am or 8pm because that's when they make them.  

I'm from Maine and had very little problem with the heat, aside from a few miserable days, but I also didn't have AC for a large part of each those days. AC is probably essential if you want to do anything other than lay around in a puddle of sweat for at least part of the summer.

• 2 months later...

Alright friends, so I'll be visiting Austin soon and just wanted to ask, if you had to suggest one place a person must visit, what would it be? I want to get a real feel for the atmosphere of the city.

Thanks and God bless

MargaretTeresa

I'm in the Rio Grande Valley. It's got some cool stuff.

Texas in general is pretty darn amesome.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Going with this grain, Chicago O'Hare is one of the worst airports in the world, so I would recommend moving as far south in Texas as possible (Say, South Padre Island, which is absolutely gorgeous and a lot of fun) so you can be as far away from Chicago as possible.

​Of COURSE you are an expert on Chicago O'Hare, because you have taken exactly four airplane flights in your life, and to take those four flights you were required to change planes at Chicago O'Hare. That also means you have visited exactly three airports as a passenger. Oh yeah, that definitely makes you an expert on which airports are the worst in the world. :P

If you had a bad experience at O'Hare it was not for want of trying on my part, since I spent a great deal of time (at your request) providing you with online maps of the terminal, the likely gates you would land, directions between the various gates, the type of planes you'd likely be flying, how to know what gate you needed to get to once you arrived at the terminal (there was no need for to ask anyone for help--you had all the information you needed at your fingertips). Not that you bothered to thank me. I didn't do it for the thank-you, which is a good thing because I heard nothing from you after the trip.

Factoid: At least you can now say you have actually been IN Chicago, because in their "infinite wisdom" Chicago/Illinois politicians declared O'Hare to actually be part of the city of Chicago, despite the fact that it is roughly 15-20 miles northwest of the city (the variation in distance being related to what part of Chicago you are measuring from).

Another factoid: Most of the time, flight delays at O'Hare are caused by bad weather elsewhere in the country, not the weather in Chicago. (If I remember correctly, unless you changed your planned itinerary, you experienced no flight delays during your trips through O'Hare, so I'm not sure what you have to complain about.)

For people who live in Chicago, O'Hare is a great airport. I can fly to almost anywhere in the world without changing planes. :P

PhuturePriest

​Of COURSE you are an expert on Chicago O'Hare, because you have taken exactly four airplane flights in your life, and to take those four flights you were required to change planes at Chicago O'Hare. That also means you have visited exactly three airports as a passenger. Oh yeah, that definitely makes you an expert on which airports are the worst in the world. :P

If you had a bad experience at O'Hare it was not for want of trying on my part, since I spent a great deal of time (at your request) providing you with online maps of the terminal, the likely gates you would land, directions between the various gates, the type of planes you'd likely be flying, how to know what gate you needed to get to once you arrived at the terminal (there was no need for to ask anyone for help--you had all the information you needed at your fingertips). Not that you bothered to thank me. I didn't do it for the thank-you, which is a good thing because I heard nothing from you after the trip.

Factoid: At least you can now say you have actually been IN Chicago, because in their "infinite wisdom" Chicago/Illinois politicians declared O'Hare to actually be part of the city of Chicago, despite the fact that it is roughly 15-20 miles northwest of the city (the variation in distance being related to what part of Chicago you are measuring from).

Another factoid: Most of the time, flight delays at O'Hare are caused by bad weather elsewhere in the country, not the weather in Chicago. (If I remember correctly, unless you changed your planned itinerary, you experienced no flight delays during your trips through O'Hare, so I'm not sure what you have to complain about.)

For people who live in Chicago, O'Hare is a great airport. I can fly to almost anywhere in the world without changing planes. :P

​I never said it was one of the worst in the world based off my experience. You assumed that, but I never stated so or insinuated it. Rather, I was going off what everyone has told me, which is that Chicago O'Hare is one of the most confusing and terrible airports to ever step foot in.

And you are wrong. I have had exactly two plane flights and have been in three airports. One to take off to Chicago O'Hare, landing in O'Hare, and then flying to my final destination.

franciscanheart

How would you Texans rate San Antonio?

​Seen it once, seen it a hundred times. I say 126, just ahead of Houston. If they could be tied, they would be. (Okay, Houston is way better. And I hate Houston.)