An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Doing This Lent?

PhuturePriest

Archaeology cat

Still haven't figured out what I'm doing. Nothing food-related. Probably limiting internet/replacing with prayer. Maybe doing the St Gertrude prayer again. 

I'd really love to give up feeling like utter shite for Lent. I can't even focus on Lent when I haven't even been to Mass for 3 weeks.

:( sorry things aren't going well.

You don't get pizza without cheese, do you? Every pizza has it. Since I don't like cheese, it only makes sense for me to take it off, much like a person who doesn't like pepperoni would take the pepperoni off their pizza.

When I was a kid, i.e. when my siblings and I had the allergy to dairy, my family would order pizza without cheese, and typically the pizza place would give us an extra topping in place of cheese. Our typical order was a mushroom and pepperoni pizza.

And that would be pretty much the only time I would eat pizza. So I would rarely pull the cheese off, unless it was the only food available. Edited by Amppax

PhuturePriest

When I was a kid, i.e. when my siblings and I had the allergy to dairy, my family would order pizza without cheese, and typically the pizza place would give us an extra topping in place of cheese. Our typical order was a mushroom and pepperoni pizza.

And that would be pretty much the only time I would eat pizza. So I would rarely pull the cheese off, unless it was the only food available.

I've found cooking pizza without cheese results in less tasty sauce due to its direct exposure to the heat, which is why I prefer cheese to be on the pizza. It acts as a protective shell which is then dispensed, because I'm not really a fan of eating mold (Or whatever chemicals the company put together in order to make fake mold).

Things I'm giving up
1) Soft Drinks all Carbonated Drinks

2) All 40 Days give up Beef and Pork Products
3) All Computer and Television
4) Its a Secret
5) Is a private thing between the LORD and Myself.

Things  I'm going to be  doing
1) Try to feed the homeless
2) Pray the Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet
3) Attend more Eucharistic Adoration
4) Its a Secret
5) Its a Secret as well.

I'm a bit confused. When I became Catholic in Belgium, I was taught to fast every day during Lent, except Sundays. However I read on the Internet that the American bishops only require fasting on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and all Fridays during Lent. Why is that?

Anyway, my plan is (1) one hour of mental prayer a day; (2) no news sites. 

afaik, the lenten practices here have relaxed since, I don't know, anywhere from 60-100 something years ago. I think in the 1800's it was pretty brutal. It is probably because the practices were too strict for many people to follow and the church has lowered the bar so that more people can participate.

Of course you are still free to go EXTREEEEEME if you want. If you're better than people like me.

veritasluxmea

I'm thinking of giving up time on the internet. I have something else planned with the Bible so I'm not sure if I'll add that as well. Honestly I'm not sure I could hold up a "less internet time" resolution anyways, but I think I want to try. 

Not The Philosopher

So far I have - no sweets. Sounds lame, but I have a massive sweet tooth. I just ate, like, a bowl of chocolate peanut butter ice cream.

Working on the rest. I've still got a few days to sort things out.

Oremus Pro Invicem

share please.

Portobello Mushroom burgers.

*Portobello Mushroom caps.
*Caramelized onions.
*Tomatoes
*Romaine lettuce
*Avocado
*Dijon
*Your Choice of bun and cheese.

For the mushrooms you can coat them with soy sauce or steak sauce. I usually put some brags and then put johnny's salad and pasta elegance seasoning on them. Then I cook them in a pan, bbq grill preferred, until they're nice and charred and flat. Then I put the cheese on them and let it melt while I prepare the buns and condiments. I've tried all different types of cheese, but I've found a garlic herb havarti or a colbe jack to be the best options. I haven't tried pepper jack yet but I think it would be amazing. Once the buns are ready I put the mushroom cap down first, then the onions, tomatoes, romain lettuce, and either sliced avocados or guacamole. Put it on a plate with some chips or steak fries and enjoy. Edited by Oremus Pro Invicem

Here's the thing about Lent, for me anyway. I never know what I am doing is enough until I start.  I am giving up Twitter (a somewhat anynamous one.. somewhat)  Giving up Twitter is gonna seem like a huge sacririfce at first , but I could also see myself adapting later on, to where it doesn't seem that big anymore. If that happens I might add something else to give up.  I thought about giving up Caffeine  in addition but Giving up Twitter's gonna be a doozy.. unless I adapt then maybe I can give up caffeine or something else. I kinda play it by ear.. er.. by prayer.

I also have a long list of people to pray the Rosary for.. praying at least one a day and I've already started praying them.

Do  remember we aren't gonna become Saints over night.. or even One Lent :) It's good to make sacrifices but also make sure not to overcomplicate things, or else everything will just fall flat on your face.  Simplicity is key.

Edited by Tony

I thought I would share this from my PP from my home parish. I am no longer there, but the wisdom still remains in my heart, and it's not for me alone, but for all of you too. I hope you enjoy this reflection. God bless! x

Gospel Reflections: Lent 2013 (recycled wisdom from Fr John Jesus Moloney CSJ).

Lent 2013
This week's reflections will be a few thoughts on how to live the Lenten season.
Prayer, fasting, alms giving
The Church traditionally says there are 3 things we ought to "do" during lent. Putting stress on the word "do". We emphasize very often the interior dimension. That lent is about attitudes, ideas and intentions. In the traditional practice of the Church, lent is about doing things. Things that involve the body as much as the mind. That involve the exterior of your life as much as the interior.
There is a very Catholic principle that goes like this..... what your body does your soul will follow. We like to give bodily expression to spiritual movement, acting out with our whole person the conversion process. That’s why we love pilgrimages, going on our knees to pray, sign of the cross, rosary; that engages the body, mind and will, we love "smells and bells" as we say because they awaken the body and lead the soul into the divine.
Take pilgrimages for example; lent is all about conversion, "metanoia" in the Greek of the Gospel, "beyond the mind"; to go beyond the present way the mind perceives, to change the way we see things. To travel to a place of pilgrimage... (Bible full of pilgrimages...Abraham leaves his home and sets off...Moses journeys to the promised land, Mary to Hill Country to visit her cousin Elizabeth, Jesus to Jerusalem....)....is to mimic the arduousness of the spiritual path, the soul follows the lead....
The 3 great practices of lent are prayer, fasting and alms giving. Lets look at each one in turn.
Prayer has been defined in all sorts of ways over the centuries. There are many many different ways of practicing prayer.
Prayer is a conscious and disciplined accessing of the center. Jesus Christ wants to be the center of your life. That power around which all of your talents, abilities, your powers revolve. Jesus says I want to live in you, I want to be your life, your mind, your will. To pray, is to access that center. To become aware of it. To live in it, to be open to it in a conscious and disciplined way. Lent the Church says is a great time for this practice of prayer.
Here are some very practical things; The Jesus prayer.... its a very ancient prayer form and very simple. Its roots are biblical. It flourished especially in the East, in the monasteries of the Byzantine Church. The Jesus prayer unfolds this way. As you breath in deeply you say "Lord Jesus Christ Son of God" and then as you breath out you say "Have mercy on me a sinner". Notice please how it involves the mind, you are thinking about Christ, you are thinking about sin, about forgiveness. It involves the will, the desire and it involves the body. As you breathe in you fill your lungs, you are signaling to your body, that you are filling your life up with Jesus Christ, you breathe Him in. Then as you breathe out, "have mercy on me a sinner". You are breathing out all the negative spirits in your life. You are breathing out sin, negativity. If you read the book "The way of the pilgrim", its a very short little book. It’s all about a young man who discovered the Jesus prayer. And it changes his life. He was leafing through the bible on day and he found St Paul's invitation to pray constantly. And he wondered what that meant. So he sought out various spiritual masters. Until he finally came to someone who finally explained to him what it meant. He said it means you should practice the Jesus prayer. "Lord Jesus Christ Son of God. have mercy on me a sinner". How many times ? Hundreds of times. Thousands of times. As you make your way through the day, maybe pausing and very consciously saying it in a very focused way. But let that prayer seep into your bones. Let it seep into your lungs, your body, your mind. And what this young man discovered was that his whole life changed as he let the Jesus Prayer work its way through his whole being.
The beauty of the Jesus Prayer is that you can pray it in a very concentrated way, you can spend an hour in the morning, in the evening with this prayer. Sit before the Blessed Sacrament and pray it. Or you can pray it for a minute, maybe in the midst of a very busy hectic day. Facing though decisions, take a minute, take 30 seconds and pray this prayer. Lets say you are caught in traffic, you can give yourself over to frustration or you can give yourself over to prayer, to access the deep center. To make contact with Jesus Christ.
The second great practice of lent is fasting. Jesus himself fasted for 40 days in the desert. It’s an ancient and powerful spiritual practice. Why do we fast ? Because we have a hunger for God. Which is the deepest hunger. We`re meant to feel that hunger, to access it so that it can direct us towards God. What's the danger ? (and every spiritual master East and West recognizes this), the danger is that if we allow the superficial hungers of our lives to dominate, we never reach the deep hunger.
Thomas Merton once said that the hungers for food, for drink and for shelter, for sex are like children because they are insistent, they are immediate, they want satisfaction now. The way a little kid does, give me this now, therefore these desires can dominate the soul very quickly if we let them. Fasting is a way of disciplining those desires. Quieting those desires. Not responding immediately to them so that the deep desire, the deep thirst and hunger might emerge. Unless you fast you might never even realize how hungry you are for God.
How about some practical suggestions...the Church tells us clearly to follow certain dieting recommendations during the Lenten season, abstaining from meat on Fridays, having certain days of fast, these really aren`t all that stringent and Catholics are encouraged to follow them. But maybe we could try skipping a meal once a week during lent, and taking the money you would have spent in that meal and giving it to the poor. Or skipping a meal and during that time pray the rosary. To substitute the hunger and thirst for God, in a conscious way, for the hunger and thirst for food and drink.
But here's the thing, don't simply do it as a kind of masochistic self-punishment. "I'm fasting from this meal and now I'm miserable....I'm not smoking and that’s making me crazy" ...... rather feel that hunger, that need, that lack, and then treat it as a kind of sacrament of your divine hunger. Feel that hunger and say "Lord I know this is symbolic for me of the hunger and thirst for you".... feel that as you fast.
The 3rd practice, the one that’s often the most overlooked; alms-giving. During lent we are encouraged to give alms to the poor. Because we are members of a body. The Church is not a club, a society, not a collection of like-minded people. The Church is a body. We participate in Christ, we are the cells and molecules of his body. What that means of course is that we are connected one to another. Just as the organs of a body are interconnected. If the liver has a problem its the whole body's problem. The lungs have a problem...the whole body is affected. So we Christians say and believe that if you have a problem, that’s my problem too. Because we are connected. If someone in the far corner of the world is hungry, is thirsty or alone or afraid, I can't say; "that’s their problem". That’s our problem. We give alms because we are connected to each other.
How do you give alms ? Here are some concrete suggestions..... as a kid in Ireland we used to have a poor box, the "trocaire box" as we'd call it. During lent put a poor box next to your door and then every time you leave during lent, put something in that box. It could be 50 cents, 1 dollar, 10 dollars...whatever, and encourage your family to do it too. Knowing that each time there is somebody in the body of Christ who needs it.
Another ancient practice is to set an extra place at your table, at dinner. To remind you of that person in the body of Christ, who is starving. Who doesn't have enough to eat. And then take the money you would have spent to prepare that meal, put that in the poor box.
Here is one that’s very difficult....St John Chrysostom said that "If you have 2 shirts in your closet, one belongs to you and the other belongs to the man who has no shirt. If you have 2 cloaks in your closet, one belongs to you and one to the man who has no cloak". Go into your closet this lent, we all have more clothes than we actually need. Find something in there that you don't need, and give it to someone in the body of Christ who has far greater need of this than I do.
This lent forget about fussy introspection, ask not am I happy ? Ask; am I giving, doing, caring, follow the Gospel's recommendation and do 3 things....pray, fast and give alms.