An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Nuns Of The Perpetual Rosary

Obonitas!

I asked about this before, and I believe Sister Mary Catharine answered me. I have a book that's titled "The Custom Book of the Cloistered Dominican Sisters of the Perpetual Rosary." I believe she told me that it was for the public to participate, but after just finishing it, the book addresses only the life of the Sisters, but it does not ever refer to them as Nuns. It was originally written in 1890, with an approbations in 1891 and then revised 1947. There is a chapter in this book that thoroughly covers the Lay Sisters and, also, very interestingly, describes all parts of the habit. I cannot imagine this would have been given to the public, because it seems so private. Now that I have read it, I feel guilty because - while I found it most fascinating - I am not sure I should have. Lastly, I am very curious why this book of Customs does not ever refer to the Nuns as Nuns, but only as Sisters, though making a very clear distinction between Choir and Lay Sisters. I'm going to see if I can load a picture of the cover on here. I'm using my phone, so I'm sure it will work. If you see it, then it did, but I have given the title completely. I would like to keep it. The Carthusians have some choice in their private devotions and spiritual life, so I have been given permission to bring some books. Of course, I am still working on the language which is a deal-breaker for my entrance. Thank the Lord they are patient!

I tried to load the picture but I got a message saying it was too big.

Edited by Obonitas!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The answer is actually quite simple. They weren't nuns! They were what was called 3rd Order Cloister. There were many 3rd Order cloisters at one time in the Order. In some instances we don't know exactly how they were different.

Eventually, all but one of the Perpetual Rosary monasteries became moniales. My one monastery was founded specifically to become Nuns of the Order and lived the rule of the nuns with a few mitigations for 30 years as the bishop wouldn't let them. Finally, in 1955 they were allowed to be come fully incorporated into the Order of Preachers.