An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fm Sisters In France?

TotusTuusMaria

What community has the initials F.M. I think they might be in France?

I tried looking it up, everything came back using three letters - any chance there's one letter missing?

FM usually denotes "franciscan missionary" of some sort.

Any more details you could spare us?

TotusTuusMaria

No letters missing. Have checked three times. And I reasoned the Franciscan Missionary thing too, so I tried to search that, but there is nothing there. Hence, I have turned to the gurus at pm!

ok, thinking along the same line as Sponsa-Christi, are these letters lower case or upper case? I believe i have seen fm before

FMI = Daughters of Mary Immaculate, the female branch of the Marianists / Society of Mary. Both branches originated in France. 

But that's three letters, not two. 

Do you know if we're looking for a male or female community here? (or both)

I wonder if the Friars Minor ever wrote their initials like that. The Discalced Carmelite Nuns, in the US at least, used to write it as "D.C." I'm not sure when that changed, but my copy of My Beloved is that way. Then I have a copy of this book, http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Teresa-Avila-Spiritual-Adventure/dp/8437808456/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424501572&sr=1-1&keywords=Saint+Teresa+of+Avila%3A+A+spiritual+adventurewhere this Discalced Carmelite Friar has "C.D." after his name.

edit: oops, duh, the title of the thread! Sisters! :topsy:

but perhaps then the PFM Sisters (Petites Franciscaines de Marie) used to just write it as FM if you're looking at an old document or something, or the FMMs (Franciscaines de Marie)

Edited by Chiquitunga

You will have to look up a Catholic Directory of Religious and their abbreviations. Perhaps ask your parish secretary/admin staff or the parish priest to help you with this?

Or else you can contact your diocese vocation director? Let me know if you need help with that. 

franciscan.klt@gmail.com

Love and prayer, 
Kim-Therese x

TotusTuusMaria

It is a community with a very young woman entering it in the late 90's. So a part of me thinks the habit and life would be more classic and perhaps growing in young vocations, but that is theory. They are capital letters as written and only the two. Thanks everyone! I doubt it is a aBbreviated further because another religious name is given by the sister's with longer initial from a different community

They are called the Family of Mary. I think they were founded by a priest named Fr. Paul Maria Sigl who is a well known priest in Europe. I don't know a whole lot about them. Its possible that I am mistaken about him being the founder, but he is/was at the very least the spiritual head of that community.

I have a good friend who has a friend in that community. But honestly, I don't really know anything about them. Mostly due to their geographic location, I never got curious enough to look them up myself (very odd for me..:I normally look every community up!) and I never asked my friend if he knows much about them either. Haha.

So I'm not much help other than their name. That should be them.