An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why No Hip Hop?

cathedral monk

Basilisa Marie

Dancing would be a part of Jewish culture of those who might convert from Judaism.

It's not that it's part of the culture, but the culture of worship. 

puellapaschalis

As Roman Catholics we already have our own culture (idem for the others). There is no reason to forget or ignore this; we should give it much more attention and care than we do others.

Unless there's already one in your church, pipe organs are a colossal waste of money for most parishes. :|

A beautiful building and high quality vestments are a colossal waste of money for most parishes. :| But it is about more than money.

The thing is is that it is the liturgy, the worship of God. Hip hop is a secular, and in the absolute sense of the word, profane.  Further, this sort of bringing the youth culture into the church has been going on since at least the Sixties in America and Europe, and it has proven that it just doesn't work.  It may retain the youth for a couple years, but when they out grow what's 'hip' or what's 'hip' changes, they end up leaving the church.  

This is why phatmass has the opposite mentality when dealing with hip-hop. When we make music, it is intended to take the Church into the hip-hop culture--not bring hip-hop into the Church.

I think it's a mistake to think that Mass needs to reflect local culture in order to appeal to people. The Mass celebrates the coming of an eternal God into human history, and because of Christ's real presence on the altar, the Mass is outside time and place. It's as much about Mount Calvary and the garden on Resurrection morning as it is about the local neighbourhood. For this reason, we should avoid trying to turn the liturgy into a question of culture. Mass should feel different - not completely alien (cultural adjustments do have their place), but different.

I think hip-hop can be used in prayer. If a hip-hop artist wants to write Christian lyrics,. that's a form of prayer. But it's possible to pray outside of Mass. Not every prayer needs to be taken into the liturgy. :)

Basilisa Marie

I think it's a mistake to think that Mass needs to reflect local culture in order to appeal to people. The Mass celebrates the coming of an eternal God into human history, and because of Christ's real presence on the altar, the Mass is outside time and place. It's as much about Mount Calvary and the garden on Resurrection morning as it is about the local neighbourhood. For this reason, we should avoid trying to turn the liturgy into a question of culture. Mass should feel different - not completely alien (cultural adjustments do have their place), but different.

I think hip-hop can be used in prayer. If a hip-hop artist wants to write Christian lyrics,. that's a form of prayer. But it's possible to pray outside of Mass. Not every prayer needs to be taken into the liturgy. :)

Yeah, though in a lot of ways the Roman Rite is very Euro-centric. A lot of the things we do have a certain kind of symbolism in Western culture, and they might not have the same connotation in other cultures. I see inculturation as an effort to separate Catholicism from European cultural imperialism, not so much "ooh we need guitars and felt banners and liturgical dancers at mass because that's what I like living in this upper-middle-class white American suburb."  :)  

cathedral monk

Yeah, though in a lot of ways the Roman Rite is very Euro-centric. A lot of the things we do have a certain kind of symbolism in Western culture, and they might not have the same connotation in other cultures. I see inculturation as an effort to separate Catholicism from European cultural imperialism, not so much "ooh we need guitars and felt banners and liturgical dancers at mass because that's what I like living in this upper-middle-class white American suburb."   :)  

cathedral monk

Yes, we Africans don't know this organ business. We know drums. We don't know this conservative way of worship. We know dance accompanies song and clapping hands to the beat. I don't consider myself roman catholic ( I know that's where the roots lie) I consider myself African catholic.

Yes, we Africans don't know this organ business. We know drums. We don't know this conservative way of worship. We know dance accompanies song and clapping hands to the beat. I don't consider myself roman catholic ( I know that's where the roots lie) I consider myself African catholic.

With all due respect, that totally misses the point.