An Old School Catholic Message Board

Q&A board now open to Church Militants

dUSt

The Q&A Board is now open for Church Militants to answer. Similar to Yahoo Answers, the answers can be voted up and down, and a "best answer" can be selected.

Have fun with fidelity!

Aka now open to all of phatmass. I feel like certain topics will just turn into a second debate table. 

Nihil Obstat

Very cool. We will do our best.
Should we maybe have a specific rule along the lines of "your answer must only address the question, not other answers"?

Yes, we will have a no debating rule there. Answers to original poster only. I am looking at options for giving Church Scholars the ability to select the best answer.

truthfinder

Excellent . I also hope we can show some self restraint and only respond to questions we actually know the answer too. I will strive my bestest to behave myself.  

Basilisa Marie

How do you become a "Church Militant" ?

​Usually you get nominated by a couple of other Church Militants, once you've consistently demonstrated that you support Church teaching. 

Sometimes you get it quicker if dUst is in a good mood. :) 

Basilisa Marie

Cool! It might be nice to have a variety of perspectives on issues where we're allowed to have a variety of perspectives. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

As someone who will be reading this subforum (but obviously not answering any questions), it always helps me a lot if a source is given for a specific answer such as the Catechism, or something written by the Pope (current or past). Obviously, the answers to some questions might simply be opinions. It also helps me if the person answering a question with their opinion specifically says that their answer is simply their opinion, and that there might also be legitimate points of view which differ from theirs, but are still consistent with Church teaching.

truthfinder

Cool! It might be nice to have a variety of perspectives on issues where we're allowed to have a variety of perspectives. 

​Some times though, I think the Q&A section really does benefit from a "just the facts" approach in whatever style.  CatherineM's responses are always different in style from Cappie's, but they're both always to the point and solidly based. 

AccountDeleted

Call me a 'Debbie downer' if you will but I'm not too sure about this idea. As my mother used to say... 'It'll end in tears.'

I hope I'm wrong, but if letting all Church Militants post there doesn't work out, you could just try appointing a few particular CMs who have the knowledge, wisdom, education or training etc. Because there are a lot of CMs (myself included) who might not be particularly 'qualified' to answer questions relating to Church Teaching and who will just be posting their opinions. Just saying...   but as my father used to say, 'Why not run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.'  :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

Call me a 'Debbie downer' if you will but I'm not too sure about this idea. As my mother used to say... 'It'll end in tears.'

I hope I'm wrong, but if letting all Church Militants post there doesn't work out, you could just try appointing a few particular CMs who have the knowledge, wisdom, education or training etc. Because there are a lot of CMs (myself included) who might not be particularly 'qualified' to answer questions relating to Church Teaching and who will just be posting their opinions. Just saying...   but as my father used to say, 'Why not run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.'  :)

​You've made a good point and I was thinking this exact thing myself. Because I have been a member of Phatmass for almost 5 years now, I have a pretty good idea of which Church Militants have a solid grounding in Church teaching, even if they do not have a formal degree in theology. However, newer members or Guests may not know the specific posters answering the questions, and might not be able to tell "experts" from those who are simply giving opinions. (A person can be a Church Militant who posts in complete support of Church teachings, but may not the most informed source for information, depending on the question.)

Well, if a Church Militant posts an answer that is not in line with Church teaching then they simply won't have the Church Militant tag anymore. Problem solved. Lol

​Usually you get nominated by a couple of other Church Militants, once you've consistently demonstrated that you support Church teaching. 

Sometimes you get it quicker if dUst is in a good mood. :) 

​Awww that's sad because I always see questions on the Q&A that I feel I could answer, but that get neglected...

And...my friend, EmilyAnn who I founded The Vocation Operation Blog with is a Church Militant... we are always faithful to Church teaching...100% faithful! But I'm down as a PM Newbie and a n00b... :'( 

I do have a very strong interest on the vocations side because that has been one of my apostolates for a while. :) I used to run the Vocations Chat with Sr Marianne Lucchesi FSM on FB, though for reasons I can't disclose, we have taken a break from that. I do, however, also love the writings of the saints and canon law - I used to work in a parish, so I had access to the resources....not to mention the convent library I had access to as well! :P I love Scripture too...if you need a quotation anytime, let me know. Otherwise, I could do a Mark 4:38 on you! :P (That's the verse where Jesus is sleeping, btw!!) heehee :P

Anyway, many prayers. John 14:27-28. :)