An Old School Catholic Message Board

St Walburga Nuns in Colorado on NBC News

AccountDeleted

TheresaThoma

I've been to the abbey on a retreat. It is so wonderful. I'm glad they are getting some more notice.

When one of the temporary professed nuns entered the community, the St. Walburga blog noted that she gave up a rewarding and lengthy military career, house, etc.--so, they might make an exception to the age limit (if all other qualifications are met)!  Having a spiritual director or priest-friend write a letter of introduction (for you) is also helpful.  Those of us "advancing in years" have to believe that if God calls--a door will open.  There is another Benedictine monastery of nuns in New Mexico that will accept older vocations.  Their website is http://www.ourladyofthedesert.org

There are a number of monasteries that to me at least appear to share one characteristic: they must lead very busy and demanding lives. Walburga is one, with its farm and cattle and office, and Regina Laudis is another, ditto, with its Latin and Gregorian chant, to boot.

Another is all of the 1990 carmels with what appears to be 6 hours of sleep a night, one hour on average of my minimum, anyway.  Perhaps this has something to do with the early age cutoff, in addition to the fact that younger women are widely considered to be more flexible (I am not commenting on this ;)). They also have fewer burdens--houses, cars, elderly parents, dependent children...

But I am struck with the fact that the commitments to public and private prayer AND their means of support of many monasteries can be physically very demanding.