An Old School Catholic Message Board

For British Women: Easter Triduum Retreat with Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph

IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

I try to regularly read the blog on the Web site of the Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in Lymington, England. I came across this invitation for young women to spend the Easter Triduum with the Sisters (April 2-April 5). It does not appear to be an event geared strictly for discerners, but I expect that discerners from the UK might enjoy spending the Easter Triduum with this wonderful Community, even if they don't necessarily feel called to the active Dominican life.

As you'll see from the Web site, this Community is small--11 Sisters, I think, but don't hold me to that. However they accomplish an incredible amount. The Community's apostolate is not traditional classroom teaching (unlike many active Dominican Communities). Instead, their apostolate includes such things as running retreats for individuals and groups, catechetical work for adults, children,and young people; running summer camps and youth retreats; training of catechists; and theological, philosophical, and catechical formation of lay adults in correlation with Maryvale Institute in Birmingham.

Community members come from several countries in addition to the UK, including Germany, France, Nigeria, and yes, the U.S.! The Community has welcomed new vocations in the past several years, including two Phatmass members! (This is the Community to which Phatmass member Laetitia Crucis belongs.)

Here is the link to the Community's blog. http://www.dominicansistersofstjoseph.org/ You probably need to scroll down to see the article on the Easter Triduum Retreat. The article is dated March 8, 2015.

For convenience, I've copied here a portion of the explanation of the retreat on the site. However, the site itself contains more information, including specific services/events being held at the Priory. The Priory itself is located just on the edge of the New Forest. I've never been able to visit myself, but from pictures I've seen, the location is lovely

"As with each Sacred Triduum, we extend an invitation to young women wishing to experience the beauty and richness of the Sacred Triduum here at St. Dominic’s Priory in the New Forest.  It is, no doubt, a time of great grace and blessings to share in Our Lord’s Paschal Mystery.  The retreat officially begins with 6pm supper on Holy Thursday and concludes after lunch on Easter Sunday.  However, retreatants are welcome to join us for Rosary and Evening Prayer on Holy Thursday at 5pm and are advised to travel to Brockenhurst station, if coming by train — we can pick you up from there.

Our normal charge for retreats is £45 per 24 hours; however, this year we are charging £80 for full room and board for the duration of the entire retreat (2-5th April).  For students or low-income, we ask a donation according to the retreatant’s means.

If you are interested or need more information, please contact us as soon as possible as spaces are limited.  We look forward to seeing you!"

________

I hope that members of Vocation Station from the UK, or their friends, might find this retreat of interest.