An Old School Catholic Message Board

First Order dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary

John Paul

truthfinder

What is the first order dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary?

​I think you could make a good argument for the Carmelites - whose proper name is Order of the Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel 

does anyone know the daily schedule of the Carmelite monks of wyoming?I hope Gracian or Chiquitunga or someone else knows

truthfinder

Carmelites were founded around the 12th century - mostly from Crusaders who decided to withdraw from the world.  Their official rule written by St. Albert came into being around 1206-1214, and promulgated in 1226.  

As for the Wyoming Carmelites, they don't have their horarium online, but it does say they retain the middle of the night risings for Matins and Lauds (and they also have the office of Prime).  

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Probably an order from the middle ages. We Dominicans say we're dedicated to our Lady, too! In fact, the early writings of the Order were full of stories about our Lady's particular protection. 

I would say that it is during the early middle ages that Orders devoted/dedicated to Our Lady became prominent. I don't think one can really say a very first Order!

truthfinder

Absolutely what Sr Mary Catherine says. There were a ton of major orders which all came around the 12th century which were in various ways dedicated to Our Lady: Dominicans (particularly with the rosary), Carmelites, Servites, several Minims communities etc. 

What is the first order dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary?

​Im going to go a bit outside the box and say priests.  The apostles would've all loved and cared for Mary in particular St John who literally did so,  so I would say since the time of Jesus and Mary themselves it has been our priests. 

truthfinder

Thanks vee and Sister Mary Catherine how about the Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy?http://www.orderofmercy.org

​1218 - also a Crusader community.  Take a vow to offer themselves as ransom in exchange for other Christians (the interpretation of this vow has been expanded in recent years to understand captivity in different ways).  

AccountDeleted

​Im going to go a bit outside the box and say priests.  The apostles would've all loved and cared for Mary in particular St John who literally did so,  so I would say since the time of Jesus and Mary themselves it has been our priests. 

​I'm sure there were a lot of individuals who were dedicated to the BVM but the OP asked about Orders, so I suppose that's why they have received the focus. And it does seem the the early 1200's were the start of Orders with that specific dedication: Carmelites, Dominicans, Servites etc. That doesn't mean that there weren't any Orders before that time who felt that way, but perhaps they just didn't announce it so publicly.

I think almost all orders have honored Mary to some degree or another, but ... 

orders that name or mention Mary in their title?... The Visitation of Holy Mary? (Founded in 1610) 

AccountDeleted

I think almost all orders have honored Mary to some degree or another, but ... 

orders that name or mention Mary in their title?... The Visitation of Holy Mary? (Founded in 1610) 

​The Carmelites beat them (late 12th to early 13th centuries), and they have Mary in their name... Order of the Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

​The Carmelites beat them (late 12th to early 13th centuries), and they have Mary in their name... Order of the Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

​Point taken. (That's why I included the question marks!)

• 2 weeks later...