An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Postulant for the Summit Dominicans

IgnatiusofLoyola

truthfinder

​Me to!

I spent all day on the website of the nuns where Sr.Mary Catherine OP lives and I have some questions and comments for Sister

1.Why on some pictures there are some nuns wearing wimples/coifs if the rest of the convent wears just the veil?

John Paul

​Often, they will post pictures of association meetings they attend, or of Dominican nuns who are visiting.  That's what you're probably seeing.  From what I've seen over the years, the Summit Dominicans all wear the same veil style.  

IgnatiusofLoyola

​Me to!

I spent all day on the website of the nuns where Sr.Mary Catherine OP lives and I have some questions and comments for Sister

1.Why on some pictures there are some nuns wearing wimples/coifs if the rest of the convent wears just the veil?

2.At our parish a Dominican Priest said the Mass and he was from St.Louis from St.Dominic's Priory he was very funny and I asked him what the first order dedicated to the BVM was and he said "Dominicans and what do you think?" I said Carmelites and he groaned(not in a bad way) and said why and I said because they were founded in the early 1200s BEFORE 1216 and I told him I wanted to be a priest and he said "A dominican right,right" I said "possibly". He was very funny.

3.On one of the pictures on your website when you bow for the glory be it looks like one of them is about to hit there head on the Choir Stall!

Thanks

John Paul

​Sister Mary Catharine (notice the spelling) can give you a more complete answer, but my guess is that if there are nuns wearing wimples/coifs in certain pictures, these nuns are visitors to the Monastery. Not all Communities of Dominican nuns wear identical habits--some nuns have continued to wear the wimple/coif. The Summit Dominicans are part of an Association of Communities of Dominican nuns. Sister Mary Catharine and one other Summit Dominican nun hold office in the Association, along with nuns from other Communities. The officers of the Association hold periodic meetings. Depending on where the meeting is being held, nuns from other Communities "stop over" with the Summit Dominicans on their way to the meeting, and then travel on to the meeting with the Summit Dominicans. Also, an annual training course is held for nuns in temporary vows, and last year (and for the next two years, I believe) this course is being held at the Summit Dominican Monastery. However, I can't remember if any of the nuns in the most recent training course wore the wimple/coif.

To the best of my knowlege, all the Summit Dominican nuns wear the same habit, which includes a veil and not a coif/wimple. (I believe it's actually two veils for temporary professed nuns and above--a white veil below, with a black veil on top of it.) Novices wear a white veil, with the same white habit/scapular as the professed nuns. Postulants wear a white veil, and a long-sleeved white blouse under a blue jumper. (Hence the nickname "bluebirds.")

Most pictures on the Summit Dominican site have text explanations, so I think if you look again at the pictures of nuns with wimples/coifs, it will explain that these nuns are visiting nuns from other Communities of Dominican nuns.

If I am overstepping my bounds by answering this, please forgive me. Since it is Lent, I didn't know if Sister Mary Catharine's visits to Phatmass are more limited than usual. Also, please correct me if I have made mistakes.

IgnatiusofLoyola

​Often, they will post pictures of association meetings they attend, or of Dominican nuns who are visiting.  That's what you're probably seeing.  From what I've seen over the years, the Summit Dominicans all wear the same veil style.

​As usual, everyone else on Phatmass can say in two sentences what it takes me an essay to say! When I wrote professionally, I had editors, and obviously I needed them badly!  :)

truthfinder

​As usual, everyone else on Phatmass can say in two sentences what it takes me an essay to say! When I wrote professionally, I had editors, and obviously I needed them badly!  :)

​I'm very much the opposite - much more eloquent on here, than what more poor readers have to deal with in regards to my papers.