An Old School Catholic Message Board

Take hair. Pull out.

puellapaschalis

It was St Dorotheos of Gaza. "I heard of one person that when he came to one of his friends and found the room in disarray and even dirty, he would say to himself: 'Blessed is this person, because having deferred his concerns for earthly cares, he has concentrated his mind that much toward Heaven, that he doesn’t even have time to tidy up his room.' But when he came to another friend’s place and found his room tidy and neat, he would say to himself; 'The soul of this person is as clean as his room, and the condition of the room speaks of his soul.' And he never judged another that he was negligent or proud, but through his kind disposition, saw good in everyone and received benefits from everyone. May the good Lord grant us the same kind disposition, so that we too may receive benefits from everyone and so that we never notice the failings of others."

​Thank you, beatitude! BTW: Where'd you get the excerpt?

And how do you know when someone has "called you" in the VS? Are you just lurking out there, or do you "hear posts"?! :P

puellapaschalis

So after all that self-righteousness yesterday, I went and made the biggest boo-boo during prayers this morning.

I wonder just how infuriating it must be to pray with me! :getaclue:

#WheresThatHumblePie

TheLordsSouljah

We used to have a rosary group after Mass every morning and man if you took this one lady's decade, ooohohoo, you were going down! #CatholicProblemNo14932. The tears. so many tears. Particularly if you forgot which Hail Mary you were on. 

AccountDeleted

We used to have a rosary group after Mass every morning and man if you took this one lady's decade, ooohohoo, you were going down! #CatholicProblemNo14932. The tears. so many tears. Particularly if you forgot which Hail Mary you were on. 

​I had trouble with group Rosaries in church because they usually said it so fast I would get breathless trying to keep up. In the convent, the nuns said it a lot slower so it was easier :) 

TheLordsSouljah

​I had trouble with group Rosaries in church because they usually said it so fast I would get breathless trying to keep up. In the convent, the nuns said it a lot slower so it was easier :) 

​Oh good grief yes that too. Parishes: hailmaryfullofgracethelordiswithyoublessedartthouamongwomenandblessedisthefruitofthywombjesusholymarymotherofgodprayforussinnersnowandatthehourofourdeathamenhailmaryfullofgrace.....

Convents:

Hail. Mary. Full. Of. Grace. The. Lord. Is. With. You.             Blessed. Art. Thou. Among. Women.             And. Blessed. Is. The. Fruit. Of. Thy. Womb.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Jesus. . . . . 

They should make a movie or a Vine about it or something....

AccountDeleted

​Oh good grief yes that too. Parishes: hailmaryfullofgracethelordiswithyoublessedartthouamongwomenandblessedisthefruitofthywombjesusholymarymotherofgodprayforussinnersnowandatthehourofourdeathamenhailmaryfullofgrace.....

Convents:

Hail. Mary. Full. Of. Grace. The. Lord. Is. With. You.             Blessed. Art. Thou. Among. Women.             And. Blessed. Is. The. Fruit. Of. Thy. Womb.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Jesus. . . . . 

They should make a movie or a Vine about it or something....

​I loved praying it in Latin. In one convent we alternated decades between English and Latin. I think it was so we didn't just parrot it mindlessly. Changing back and forth required a little thought at the start of each decade! :) 

Those parish Rosaries though - just like you wrote - all one undivided sentence. I heard something similar when I was in Spain, and of course it was all in Spanish - all these words just run together. I couldn't even join in with my limited Spanish because of the speed.

HopefulHeart

This conversation made me think of a funny incident from a couple of years ago. One day, when I was doing the daily Rosary with my family, I got to feeling prideful over how devoutly I seemed to be praying. The next day, though, I got my slice of humble pie, since for some inexplicable reason I had an uncontrollable urge to laugh throughout the Rosary! I kept having to stifle laughter and my embarrassment overshadowed my pride from the previous day. I guess God had the last laugh. :)

Now that I've figured out how to get back on Phatmass -- been having major problems, with dUSt going berserk every so often <g> -- all I can say, reading this thread, is that those of you who find there's too much noise in church or group prayer might find a visit to a synagogue instructive.  Churches, to us, are SO decorous and silent!  Synagogue services, by contrast, especially Orthodox ones, are madhouses by comparison!

Now that I've figured out how to get back on Phatmass -- been having major problems, with dUSt going berserk every so often <g> -- all I can say, reading this thread, is that those of you who find there's too much noise in church or group prayer might find a visit to a synagogue instructive.  Churches, to us, are SO decorous and silent!  Synagogue services, by contrast, especially Orthodox ones, are madhouses by comparison!​

This reminds me of when an Orthodox Jewish couple visited the Hebrew-language Catholic chaplaincy (it's on HaRav Kook in Jerusalem - you might know it). I happened to be sitting in front of them and at the end of the Mass I introduced myself. The woman in particular was laughing about the tranquillity of the service (and also because there was no stampede for the exit when the priest announced snacks were being served). It was a bit strange for me to hear as it's a very vibrant chaplaincy with lots of children, and although it's not noisy in any disrespectful way - they have a very prayerful atmosphere there - 'tranquil' is definitely not the first word I would fix on for it!

​Thank you, beatitude! BTW: Where'd you get the excerpt?

And how do you know when someone has "called you" in the VS? Are you just lurking out there, or do you "hear posts"?! :P

​It is my telepathic gifts. :P I forget where I originally came across the quotation, but I'm pretty sure it's in the book Dorotheos of Gaza: Discourses and Sayings. I don't have it to hand right now so can't check. A longer excerpt can be read here.