An Old School Catholic Message Board

What does one bring into the Convent?

Hislittlelamb

Hislittlelamb

Hello all,

I am currently in the beginning stages of entry into the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles and I was wondering if any of you here in these forums happen to be familiar with this community's early formation process (candidacy and postulancy) and could offer me some insights... I'm curious on what general restrictions are placed on the girl in these early formation times, such as: what personal items is she permitted to bring with her (my favorite saint statue?!), is there a certain dress code that is required for the girls in formation, is there a list of items that she is responsible to bring with her for entry into the community, and any other helpful insights. I know that this isn't the most relevant topic to my growth spiritually, but it's fun to mull over the little particulars when one is planning for something so beautiful :)

One's sins.

:whistle:

I don't doubt that your community will send you some info about what you need to bring; however there are a good few threads on here with people discussing the same question, and it seems to usually extend to a couple of changes of clothes, toiletries, prayer gear, sometimes a few of your own books... Health insurance if you're in one of those backward countries that doesn't provide it for everyone!

Also, welcome!

AccountDeleted

Hello all,

I am currently in the beginning stages of entry into the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles and I was wondering if any of you here in these forums happen to be familiar with this community's early formation process (candidacy and postulancy) and could offer me some insights... I'm curious on what general restrictions are placed on the girl in these early formation times, such as: what personal items is she permitted to bring with her (my favorite saint statue?!), is there a certain dress code that is required for the girls in formation, is there a list of items that she is responsible to bring with her for entry into the community, and any other helpful insights. I know that this isn't the most relevant topic to my growth spiritually, but it's fun to mull over the little particulars when one is planning for something so beautiful :)

​You know, your community will give you all the information you need about this. All you have to do is ask them. Every community is different so it would make sense to have this discussion with them. :) 

Lily May Gath

Yes, your community will send you an information packet with everything in it, but this is normally on acceptance.

They may ask you to sew some items (or find someone to help you with this).

They normally list clothes, coats shoes, stationary, books, alarm clock, sewing kit, hobby things for arts and crafts and anything they particularly want you to bring.

They may well include bed linens, towels etc. and advice on health and beauty supplies.

They also tell you what they don't want you to bring.

As above, legal and official documents and health insurance, driving licence etc.

Your community will advise you on personal items like your small statue. Many seem to be OK with a few things like this

Praised be Jesus Christ!Visit the thread called Carmelite Customs on Page 7 or 6 or 8 click on it and read through there is a letter of a Carmelite nun writing to a discerner who just was granted entrance there is a list on what to bring although some may be a little out of date it definitly gives a summary on what to bring maybe another member can provide a link to this thread and tell you what page on the thread it is on.Can you post the community's Daily Schedule? And I reccomend to go on Youtube and search Light of Love and a Carmelite Sister of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is interviewed.I hope this helps!

John Paul

P.S. I apologize for my spelling errors

Hislittlelamb

...now and forever!

thank you all for the help :)

Praised be Jesus Christ!Visit the thread called Carmelite Customs on Page 7 or 6 or 8 click on it and read through there is a letter of a Carmelite nun writing to a discerner who just was granted entrance there is a list on what to bring although some may be a little out of date it definitly gives a summary on what to bring maybe another member can provide a link to this thread and tell you what page on the thread it is on.Can you post the community's Daily Schedule? And I reccomend to go on Youtube and search Light of Love and a Carmelite Sister of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is interviewed.I hope this helps!

John Paul

P.S. I apologize for my spelling errors

​wonderful! I will search through the forum topics as well as in "Carmelite Customs." looking forward to learning more!

AccountDeleted

Humility.

Buckets of it.

​Not necessary to bring more than a little - you'll have buckets of it burned into you over time! :P 

The Carmelite Customs thread deals with cloistered Carmelite communities and details many customs that are no longer in use even by them. The Carmelites of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of LA have an active apostolate, which is very unusual for Carmelites, so I would caution you against taking too much information from the Internet - it's better to put any questions to the vocation director and postulant mistress. :)

The Carmelite Customs thread deals with cloistered Carmelite communities and details many customs that are no longer in use even by them. The Carmelites of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of LA have an active apostolate, which is very unusual for Carmelites, so I would caution you against taking too much information from the Internet - it's better to put any questions to the vocation director and postulant mistress. :)

​right thats why i said it may be out of date

Hello all,

I have no idea what personal items can be  brought into the convent but I just wanted to wish you luck with this process that you are going through. I absolutely love the Carmelites of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles! They are the some of the most beautiful sisters ever! I have been to their convent a number of times for their Christmas movie nights and having our homeschool conferences at their St Joseph's Ceter. I honestly wouldn't mind joining them if God so called me. You are so lucky!

Hislittlelamb

I have no idea what personal items can be  brought into the convent but I just wanted to wish you luck with this process that you are going through. I absolutely love the Carmelites of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles! They are the some of the most beautiful sisters ever! I have been to their convent a number of times for their Christmas movie nights and having our homeschool conferences at their St Joseph's Ceter. I honestly wouldn't mind joining them if God so called me. You are so lucky!

​Yes, they are quite a beautiful community. I am overjoyed at the opportunity to discern further with them, and to collect those "buckets of humility" along the way ;)