An Old School Catholic Message Board

Name Some Monasteries

PhuturePriest

veritasluxmea

​Forget the lurkers.

​No.

The women already run the place here, we can have a little something exclusively for the men for once.

Please make that clearer in your OP.  

Here's a thread for you.

mark-twain-author-denial-aint-just-a-riv

And what about the gay thread, sir?

:P 

​Ok is it just me or is everyone, myself included, getting a little tense in phatmass? Open mike, debate table, even lame board, and now Vocation Station. I think phatmass is having Lenten withdrawals or something. 

PhuturePriest

And what about the gay thread, sir?

:P 

​Sarcasm is also an exception.

Now stop the "teasing" and don't post unless it pertains to the topic of the thread. Pirates in this thread will be hanged forthwith.

PhuturePriest

mark-twain-author-denial-aint-just-a-riv

​And charity extends to not "teasing" members incessantly in every thread you can find. Stop posting unless it pertains to the topic at hand, please.

AccountDeleted

​Sarcasm is also an exception.

Now stop the "teasing" and don't post unless it pertains to the topic of the thread. Pirates in this thread will be hanged forthwith.

​And charity extends to not "teasing" members incessantly in every thread you can find. Stop posting unless it pertains to the topic at hand, please.

BEGINNING of HIJACK:

Ok, FP, all teasing aside -  and stepping outside the topic of this thread for a moment, not to hijack but to explain and perhaps clear the air between us.

There's nothing wrong with finding that you can't stay away. Most of us feel the same way too - that's why those of us who are here didn't make a Lenten intention to stay away. But since you also posted over and over again that we should admonish the sinners, some of us, as your phatmass phamily, tried to remind you of your intention, and teasing was a way to do it without coming across all heavy about it ( actually trying to be charitable but obviously just bringing up your defenses).  You will say that it's not a sin to break a Lenten intention but it is hypocrisy to criticize others for their failures and not acknowledge your own, or to rationalize and excuse what you are doing. Nothing is so important or vital that you just have to post on phatmass. After all, it's not that long until Sunday or even Easter! The world doesn't begin or end with a post.

Iggy even posted something about how it's ok to just say, look guys, I need to be here with you all, I overreached, I admit it.  I think that what got my goat was how self-righteous you come across when someone else is less than perfect but how you fail to acknowledge that you can't always keep the intentions either. It is also my fault that it bothers me and I need to work on that. But face it FP, you also have a little work to do in the humility area too. You made an intention, you aren't keeping it. End of story. You don't need to excuse it, but don't get mad at others when they point it out.

But it's ok. We are happy to have you around, but no pretense, ok? I will stop teasing and not mention this subject again. But at least I am being honest about it all now. Hopefully we can move forward now. Welcome back.

​END OF HIJACK.

Back to our regularly scheduled programs:

Abbey of New Clairvauhttp://www.newclairvaux.org/  Cisctercians of Strict Observance in Vina, Northern California - they make wine.

truthfinder

​No.

Please make that clearer in your OP.  

Here's a thread for you.

​Ok is it just me or is everyone, myself included, getting a little tense in phatmass? Open mike, debate table, even lame board, and now Vocation Station. I think phatmass is having Lenten withdrawals or something. 

​I checked your profile and it says you joined last May - this means this is your first Lent with us.  Trust me, this is probably the tamest Lent we've had in a long while on Phatmass.  Lent always turns into a super-tense, argument filled time (especially if it's an election year).  

AccountDeleted

​Trust me, this is probably the tamest Lent we've had in a long while on Phatmass.  Lent always turns into a super-tense, argument filled time (especially if it's an election year).  

​It isn't only phatmass - it's a worldwide phenomenon, like full moons...

73472_160325310783886_1325231538_n.jpg

Credo in Deum

I think there is teasing and then there is tormenting.   IMO, the teasing has become a little bit excessive, so let's turn it down a notch.  While FP is young, he is also a legal adult and should be afforded the respect young adults deserve.  Plus he has asked that we stop teasing him and when a member asks this we should stop.

Thank you.

Back to the OP:

The Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate.

Edited by Credo in Deum

PhuturePriest

Back to the OP:

The Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate.

​I have officially contacted the Jesuits. A good friend of mine is also interested in them, and we plan to take a road trip in a month or two so we can visit one of their seminaries. It's going to be baller.

PhuturePriest

​It isn't only phatmass - it's a worldwide phenomenon, like full moons...

73472_160325310783886_1325231538_n.jpg

​I have repeatedly asked that we not hijack the thread, and yet you have continually done so. Please, do not post anything that does not pertain to the topic of the thread. I do not wish to ask you again.

A number of Benedictine congregations have monasteries in the US; here's a master list - http://www.osb.org/intl/confed/nacong.html 

Most of the American Benedictine monasteries sponsor a high school (some co-ed, some make), and/or a college/university, or a seminary. Some don't run  a school - if there's no school, they usually run a retreat center. They often also do some parish ministry. Most are sort of out in the country, far from the madding crowd, but the one in Newark NJ is right in the heart of the city - in fact, I think most of their students are not Catholic but the meet high academic standards. The high schools and colleges are quite expensive - small, private schools usually are. 

There's a monastery of Cistercian (a sort of reformed Benedictine) monks in the Dallas area, and they are thriving. They also run an expensive, small, private high school. http://www.cistercian.org/ I thought there was another Cistercian monastery + school in California but I can't find a link for it.  

Trappists (further reformed Benedictines) are supposed to be self-sustaining, with no ministry outside of the monastery. They may farm, raise cattle, offer retreats, make fruit cake, make bread, make jelly, and those kinds of things. Here a list of the North American monasteries (it includes nuns - SORRY!). The monastery of monks in Utah is in the process of closing, so you can safely ignore them. http://www.ocso.org/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=listcats&cat_id=115&Itemid=88&lang=en 

There are a few outliers - the Carmelites in Wyoming have already been mentioned. There's a monastery of Brigittine monks in Oregon - they make candy. This is a newly RE-founded order that had been out of existence for a number of centuries. WARNING: tThe web page is not very up-to-date. http://www.brigittine.org/ 

GET TO WORK!!! You've got a lot of researching to do!

orapronobis

There are a few outliers - the Carmelites in Wyoming have already been mentioned. There's a monastery of Brigittine monks in Oregon - they make candy. This is a newly RE-founded order that had been out of existence for a number of centuries. WARNING: tThe web page is not very up-to-date. http://www.brigittine.org/ 

GET TO WORK!!! You've got a lot of researching to do!

Oops! Luigi beat me to it with the Brigittines- sorry!  :)

orapronobis

Yeah, dude. The Oregon Brigittines make fudge. You should totally join them.

But they seem to have disappeared from the Internet...