An Old School Catholic Message Board

FYI if you are freaking out about future. Many Hugs. And Sympathies.

TheLordsSouljah

TheLordsSouljah

First of all. Praise you Jesus!

Secondly: It's been ages. I've missed you all heaps!

So I remember about 18 months ago coming on here and having a rant about how much I was freaking out because I was like 'I'm going to the convent and I only have such and such more time after I graduate my bachelor's,' yadi yadi ya. I felt like the desire I had to enter the convent since forever put a cap on all the crazy adventurous stuff I wanted to do and had done that I couldn't do afterwards. Such as ma motorbike, skydiving, rock climbing, you name it, I wanted to do it. Even my dreams to become a teacher working part time in the RAAF. 

God finally knocked it into my head that what I usually think is going to happen just doesn't, and that I'm not gonna be unsettled by what He wants me to do. The peace that Jesus gives is like, whoa man, nothing anyone has ever felt anywhere else. I'm now a missionary with NET ministries in good Old Oz, working with younguns and loving life in the moment. What will happen next year I don't have a clue, but am just at peace about it.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Has anyone experienced getting through that turmoil? Please share!! I'd really like to know I wasn't the only one haha! :) 

I have had huge difficulties with anxiety about the future. When I graduated from my BA, I remember feverishly drawing up this ridiculous list that planned out my life for the next decade (literally). I really struggled to cope with uncertainty. I still have this tendency to over-plan, but I have been getting better at managing it. Now I'm two-thirds of the way through a PhD, with absolutely no idea of what might come next, and to my surprise I'm OK with that - I have a feeling that God will make the next step clear in time, and right now I don't have to worry. I've definitely become less afraid and developed a more adventurous approach over the years. :)

TheresaThoma

This past year has really been a roller coaster for me and not like the kind where you can see the next hill or decent coming. Like the ones that are in the dark and you just have to hold on and take it as it comes. Last year I moved between three different states, (and then twice within the same state I am in now). Changed jobs, went on the most amazing trips etc. It hasn't been easy and at times I really struggled but I learned so much about myself. I realized it isn't until you are really pushed and tested that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. And sometimes those weaknesses are things you need to work on. Other times those "weaknesses" are just things you work around

Yes, I probably freak out more with the idea of what my vocation is then what I am doing with my life. This may come from the idea that I don't want to rack up huge student debts if I'm just going to enter the convent anyway. Yet, if I am called to marriage, I need to go into something that will help support myself and my future family. I do feel pulled toward both vocations so I have no idea what I'm going to do. I can't afford to travel to the convents that spark my interest and I'm not in a (nor have I ever) been in a relationship with a man before so I am in a state of limbo at the moment. This is very annoying.

orapronobis

Since making the decision to convert it has been a very rough ride. I should have been received into the Church two weeks ago but then suddenly my mother decided that she wasn't ready for me to do it, so I agreed with my priest to put it back to December... Next week I'm going seeing my spiritual director (a converted Anglican religious) and he has agreed to help me basically come up with a plan for the next two years until I've finished sixth form (after which I hope to enter a community.)

Strictlyinkblot

I am most definitely freaking out about the future. I'm taking a new job which will mean a move across the UK and for so many other reasons.