An Old School Catholic Message Board

How do I decide upon a religious order?

Discerning13

Discerning13

I have been contemplating religious life (when I'm older) for a while but I don't know which order would be right for me (Benedictine, Dominican, Carmelite etc). I know I have a few years to decide but I'd like to start thinking about it now. Thanks and God bless :nun1:

I also have trouble with this.But go to vocationmath.com and it will match you with communities.Decide what your favorite religious activities and prayers are and match them with religious communities.Like if you like the Divine Office put the Benedictines on your list.If you like quiet prayer the carmelites ect.

TheresaThoma

Right now learn all you can bout the different orders. Read books by religious and saints from those orders. If you can read their Rule of Life (The Rule of Saint Benedict, the Rule of St Albert etc).

Also pay attention to your own prayer life. Figure out what you need and what your preferences are. Also your personal needs and preferences. Such as does the schedule allow for enough community vs alone time for you. Really get to know yourself. Try out different spiritual practices and see what fits/works for you.

Credo in Deum

Before doing anything you should consult your parents. Ask them if you can ask your parish priest about spiritual direction, or getting a spiritual director.  Read about the many different orders that catch your interest.  Compare that information with yourself.  What about such and such an order do you like?  Which one do you see being benefical to your holiness and relationship with Christ? 

Most of all pray to God for patience and guidance, as well as ask Mary and Saint Joseph for protection. If you can, then frequent the sacraments as often as you can, or are permitted to by your parents.  If you can, go to adoration. If not, then practice spiritual adoration at home in a private place.  Once their close your eyes and imagine yourself in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament and speak to Jesus.  Make sure to leave some time in this adorstion for silence.  We must let Jesus speak back to us.

Edited by Credo in Deum

orapronobis

Of course.  My name is Jacob by the way :)  

Edited by Credo in Deum
Personal information: Please do not post personal information in this thread. Save that for personal messaging. Since you do not have that now then you will have to wait until you do.

If the OP isn't even a baptized Catholic yet, as indicated by previous posts, she should be learning about the Church and going to RCIA first and foremost.  Learn about prayer and build your relationship with Jesus and Mary.  Religious life is a path for some, just as marriage is too, a path to holiness and a means to an end and not an end in itself.  You can be holy in your day to day life by doing what you are supposed to do in the way you are supposed to.  Your vocation is to do everything for the greater glory of God right now, now and always no matter what it is. 

Hi Discerning13,

You seem to be in a hurry to "figure this out". You shouldn't be. You have plenty of time to discern, and you should consider that orders and houses you feel drawn to now may seem totally wrong to you by the time you can actually enter. Between 13 and 18, a lot happens. Plus, entering the Church will change you spiritually, and you'll discover a whole world of charisms that you'll need to explore with an open mind. (Trust me on that. I am also a convert!) So while I understand the excitement of discerning and wanting badly to know exactly where you'll be in the future, it doesn't really seem to make much sense for you to discern specific orders and houses right now.

It does, of course, make plenty of sense for you to learn about different orders and houses. Which you can do right in the VS. However, sites that "match you" with communities aren't very helpful until you're spiritually (and physically!) mature enough to actually be ready to enter. Even then, those websites aren't for fantasizing about religious life; if you use them like most people use dating websites, that's how they function. So if I were you, I'd avoid those for now and just explore different orders and charisms (not even getting into houses yet). Then, when you're about four years older, I'd say go ahead and start looking for houses that fit your spirituality-at-17, and make some visits.

In all this, you need to leave room for God to speak. We don't choose a religious house the way people choose a college: Look them all up, see which ones match your criteria, make some visits, then enter. That's a very willful, selfish way to discern, and likely to be "dangerous" in the end. If you want to know if you have a call, and where to, then you pray. A lot. Just talk to God, and be with God. Cuz if you enter religious life, that's what you're going to be doing ALL THE TIME. So, the best preparation you can get for religious life right now is to get closer to Him, learn to listen to Him, and practice doing His will. If you can do this, and HE wants you to become a nun, He will tell you exactly where to go when it's time—with no need for you to "pick a college". And also, if you do this, and He does NOT want you to become a nun when you grow up, then He will tell you exactly what He does want—and you will have saved yourself a whole lot of time, effort, and heartache.

Praying for you, little one! :)

In Him,

Gabriela

I also have trouble with this.But go to vocationmath.com and it will match you with communities.Decide what your favorite religious activities and prayers are and match them with religious communities.Like if you like the Divine Office put the Benedictines on your list.If you like quiet prayer the carmelites ect.

​"vocationmath.com" link doesn't work for me.

orapronobis

Oh my gosh. I meant to send that over private message!  I don't even know how that happened.  How do I remove the post? 

Yes or email Sr.Julie on a nuns life.org can anyone find a link for Discerner 13 on this website for ask sister?

Oh my gosh. I meant to send that over private message!  I don't even know how that happened.  How do I remove the post? 

​The Mediator of Meh took care of it. No worries!