Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

yes I think it is done charitably. To point out wrongs such as hypocritical actions can cause people to reexamine their faith and what they really stand for, and how they appear to others in portraying their beliefs.

nikkan_hanil
Posted

Well the sole thing I'm focusing on is not just the movie but the producer's intentions.

Jake Huether
Posted

I'm just goin' to guard my own soul and not see a movie that could potentially damage me or others.

There are plenty of other movies that are less "controversial", in which I can satisfy my desire to have fun watching a movie..

I don't need to see a movie in order to know that it's bad. As far as I'm concerned, a movie is bad when I have to debate over whether it's bad or not. LOL.

That's just me though...

Posted

Although i'd like to say I will see the movie, chances are, i won't. I am just here to critique the notion of no experience, no opinion. It's ludicris.

If the movie mocks christianity, then is mocks me, because I am a christian. Sure, i'm catholic, but my brother is my brother whether he is muslim, jewish, mormon, baptist, etc. I grew up in "the south." I thank God for my persecutions and debates, but I refuse to mock "fundemental" christians.

If this movie does that, it isn't worth the time or the money.

All the people I work with deal with gossip, backbiting, backstabbing, slander, and rumoring. These things hurt people. They stab them at the core. If this is what this movie does, then it is worthless. However, i'll have to really on what other people have said about it. ;)

  • 4 weeks later...
Someguynamedmatt
Posted

i haven't seen the movie yet but i definitely will. i am very skeptical when people criticize movies for being offensive, especially if they're comedies. maybe i have more of a sense of humor than most but satire just doesn't usually offend me, even if it opposes my beliefs. (see Dogma!)

DancesforLove
Posted

Yeah I agree, I mean it's just a movie. Unless it is a cause I just can't give money too I don't care.

Posted

[url="http://www.usccb.org/movies/s/saved.htm"]http://www.usccb.org/movies/s/saved.htm[/url]

[quote]Ironically, however, Planned Parenthood -- the world's largest abortion provider -- gets special thanks in the end credits. [/quote]
:ph34r: not givin my money to a filmmaker who puts a thanks to planned parenthood in the credits. sorry.
[quote]Due to religious stereotypes, an implied teen sexual encounter, homosexual references, recurring rough and crude language, profanity and several blasphemous jokes, the USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is L -- limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-13 -- parents are strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. [/quote]

Well, sorry, I'm still 17 so I'm not an adult yet, and even if I was an adult I should probably avoid it, well at least if i listen to the advice of the USCCB. I think I'll take their opinion over the opinion of a bunch of people who don't seem to care what goes into their eyeballs because they ignore that so they can see the funny parts :wacko:

Pax

Posted

[quote] I think I'll take their opinion over the opinion of a bunch of people who don't seem to care what goes into their eyeballs because they ignore that so they can see the funny parts [/quote]

Al, I do care what 'goes into my eyeballs' and I really enjoied this movie. It has religious stereotypes because some people are too blind to see past them. It has implied sex because that's the story (if the sex was any more implied you wouldn't even know what was going on). And regular life has so much cussing and off color jokes that any in the movie are tame by comparrison. The film is about a family that is way passed messed up and the fact that the can see beyond imperfections and love each other.

DancesforLove
Posted

Thank you Track! I agree with you. I myself do care what goes into my eyeballs. I also find it funny that people have not even seen the movie feel the need to criticize people who have. If you have not seen the movie then you should not say things about it when in it when in fact you don't know what is in that movie. And you said your 17, not even an adult, this movie was rated PG-13 not R.
The movie did not have gratituous sexuality in it, it had sexual content that was truthful. The movie was dealing with issues with teenagers and sexual content is the biggest issue at the moment.
People talk about the movie like it was glorifying "innapropriate content" and it was not.
I suggest seeing the movie before you decide to judge someone who has. :)
Then again thats just my opinion so take it for whats it worth.

Posted

the movie is rated[b] L[/b] by the United States Catholic Bishops.

[quote]L -- limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling[/quote]

the USCCB gave me all the information i need without having to give money to people who support planned parenthood thank you very much.

DancesforLove
Posted

Ok, that is one organizations views about the movie.
I didn't "give" my money to Planned Parenthood because no proceeds went to it. I never said you needed to see the movie I just find it very hypocritical and rude to judge people on a subject you aren't educated on.

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

:angry: planned parenthood in the credits!! thats messed up!

Posted

you gave money to people who support planned parenthood. from thence, neither of us know where the procedes go. all we know is that the filmakers made money and the filmakers like planned parenthood.

anyway, it's a movie whose ideals we should not support IMHO. simply, i trust the United States Catholic Bishops when it comes to their movie reviews.

the movie is dumb and sends the wrong message.

catholicguy
Posted

Just to clarify, the movie is not making fun of Christianity because it is making fun of a heresy, Protestantism, not Christianity (read, Catholicism). It is true that it could be taken as an anti-Christian satire in general by secularists, but I have no problem getting a good laugh from an anti-Protestant (read, anti-heresy) movie. Other aspects could make the movie objectionable, e.g., blasphemous jokes, support of Planned Parenthood, but otherwise it would be acceptable. The blasphemy and support of baby killers is enough to disqualify it as acceptable to be viewed (or at least supported monetarily) by faithful Catholics.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...