An Old School Catholic Message Board

Finally Home

orapronobis

orapronobis

So, I'm now on my way home back to the North after the most powerful 9 days of my life!  Although I'm so glad that I won't have to get up at 5 in the morning for Matins tomorrow I am absolutely devastated that I couldn't stay longer! Father Superior was just so lovely and welcoming and the postulants (they've only recently formed the community) treated me like I was one of them.  The opportunity to say the seven-fold office and spend at least two hours in adoration every day was such a privilege and I can't wait to start the process of discernment with them! 

Due to my age and the fact that I'm not being received into the Church until December we have decided that I can officially start the process of extern candidacy next February after my 17th Birthday and I can spend my last year of sixth form preparing for my entrance. They told me that they wished I could just have stayed with them instead of coming home!  However the superior wants to accompany me on my pre-confirmation retreat so that I don't feel completely on my own and he has agreed to be my sponsor. 

Ora Pro Nobis phatmass! ;) 

Great ! The community I am discerning with gather at 7 am for Matins and Lauds,but get up at 5 or 6 so you can have time for exersise.

orapronobis

Wow. Do you mind to tell us what community this is? It seems to be moving unusually fast...

I'll ask them if I'm allowed to officially say their name online. It's because I have actually known them all separately for a number of years so it's not as if I'm starting from scratch with getting to know them. It is all moving quite fast but because my candidacy will last around 18 months before I actually go to join them,  so they want me to have the structure and the support of the community during the difficult last few months of my education. I've stayed with them a number of times but this was my first official visit with the intention of discerning. 

Ora, I'm so glad you had a good time and feel you can go ahead with this community. That sense of joy and belonging is priceless. Just as I was reading the others' words of caution, it occurred to me that even though it's wonderful now, it might be prudent to make sure that there is no obligation placed on either side if the community are going to be such an integral part of your life even before entering. I'm sure you've thought about this but it's worth saying anyway. New communities can be funny about things that wouldn't be an issue in a more established place (and vice versa of course) and you wouldn't want to finish your A-levels, realise that you're meant to be elsewhere, and have them say that since they had helped you with x, y, z they thought you'd be a keeper. Equally you don't want to reach that point of thinking you're officially entering the community only to have them turn around and say that actually they think you'd be better off elsewhere.

I really hope this doesn't come across as raining on your parade or trying to bring you down. I was honestly SO happy when I saw your prayer request and now this thread, and reading about it going so well. I just want you to go in with your eyes open :shocking:because I've done the opposite more than once now and it's not good for anyone!

:blowkiss:

orapronobis

Ora, I'm so glad you had a good time and feel you can go ahead with this community. That sense of joy and belonging is priceless. Just as I was reading the others' words of caution, it occurred to me that even though it's wonderful now, it might be prudent to make sure that there is no obligation placed on either side if the community are going to be such an integral part of your life even before entering. I'm sure you've thought about this but it's worth saying anyway. New communities can be funny about things that wouldn't be an issue in a more established place (and vice versa of course) and you wouldn't want to finish your A-levels, realise that you're meant to be elsewhere, and have them say that since they had helped you with x, y, z they thought you'd be a keeper. Equally you don't want to reach that point of thinking you're officially entering the community only to have them turn around and say that actually they think you'd be better off elsewhere.

I really hope this doesn't come across as raining on your parade or trying to bring you down. I was honestly SO happy when I saw your prayer request and now this thread, and reading about it going so well. I just want you to go in with your eyes open :shocking:because I've done the opposite more than once now and it's not good for anyone!

:blowkiss:

Marigold,  I don't think that you're trying to rain on my parade at all. I'm actually quite touched by the level of  prayerful concern and love I've felt from you and others during the time of my retreat. 

It has of course been a concern of mine that I would feel obliged to join them since they have been so good to me.  However,  since I've known the superior for almost 4 years,  he is pretty much like family to me now and I know that I'll have his love and support no matter what. Please continue to pray for me during the next two years- God knows I need it!