Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

If we're supposed to be so pro-life, then why don't I as much stuff against use of pesticides as I do against abortion? Isn't every life, every soul equal??? I mean I have my fair share of bug/other animal-blood on my hands, most of it being from when I was a kid - I've jumped on ants just to see what would happen, I think I remember even swallowing one to see what it would taste like. And if I've got a phobia of anything, it's moths.
A tiny one (size matters not, they still scare the heck out of me!) was flying around my room once (I think it was last year or something) and it just wouldn't get out the door. I didn't try and trap it and take it outside, because I was too scared of the thought of even touching it, and wasn't comfortable with the probability of it flying right at me once I set it free. So I swatted it, thinking all the time "God, please forgive me, I'm just too scared to do anything else".
So...why no anti-pesticide campaign or something??? I mean, more innocent lives are taken by that than by abortion - you see all those cans lining supermarket shelves...

Or does it just slip by me?

homeschoolmom
Posted

bugs don't have souls.

crusader1234
Posted

Bugs and other animals have no mortal souls. However, I think it is in the best interest of YOUR mortal soul to avoid cruelty to God's creatures whenever possible.

Posted

Wait, aren't we immortal? Well, our souls anyway? Isn't that what makes our souls different from that of a bug?

Side note: "soul" comes from "anima," which is described as that which gives life. (That's how bugs/plants/animals, etc. can be described as having souls).

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 12 2004, 03:26 AM'] Bugs and other animals have no mortal souls. However, I think it is in the best interest of YOUR mortal soul to avoid cruelty to God's creatures whenever possible. [/quote]
yes, I agree... I was just too tired to write that before. being unnecessarily cruel is bad... What is necessary cruelty...? I dunno... it's the middle of the night...

crusader1234
Posted

sorry im meant immortal :mellow: its late

anyways, neccesary cruelty is eating them.... beating them off when they try to eat your youngns... lol

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 12 2004, 03:39 AM'] sorry im meant immortal :mellow: its late

anyways, neccesary cruelty is eating them.... beating them off when they try to eat your youngns... lol [/quote]
the dingo ate my baby...

Posted

LoL, :P When mosquitos bite, which probably wasn't God's original plan, they deserve to be smacked! :D :ph34r:

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jun 12 2004, 03:43 AM'] LoL, :P When mosquitos bite, which probably wasn't God's original plan, they deserve to be smacked! :D :ph34r: [/quote]
or eaten!! :getfly: :getfly: :getfly:


















:rolling: gross out!!

littleflower+JMJ
Posted
:book: lets read genesis :read:
Posted

Anyone have any infamous "kids with pets" stories they wanna share? They can't be any worse than me as a 6 year old repeatedly forgetting to feed all my fish and thus becoming a classic indoor goldfish killer, can they? (my parents never let me have any pets ever again)

[quote]I think it is in the best interest of YOUR mortal soul to avoid cruelty to God's creatures whenever possible. [/quote]

Yes, that's partly why I hate touching bugs of any sort.

St. Catherine
Posted

When my sister was really little. We had like 3 baby rabbits. During this same time we also had a cat. She thought it would be nice if the cat and the bunnies played together. SO she let them "play" together. I remember watching and screaming in horror as the cat proceeded to eat the bunnies right in front us. :o We were only about the age 8, 6, and 4.

Posted

[quote name='St. Catherine' date='Jun 12 2004, 09:23 AM'] When my sister was really little. We had like 3 baby rabbits. During this same time we also had a cat. She thought it would be nice if the cat and the bunnies played together. SO she let them "play" together. I remember watching and screaming in horror as the cat proceeded to eat the bunnies right in front us. :o We were only about the age 8, 6, and 4. [/quote]
oh no that had to be terrible :sadder:

crusader1234
Posted

I had a lizard and I didnt know they like to hid under the bark in their tanks when they sleep at night, so one day we thought we lost it so we spent the whole day looking for it.... :wacko:

Posted

Bugs probly don't have souls. I mean I myself am not sure but Romans 18 I think is kinda confusing. LOL! But I agree with the Church taht only humans have souls.

But NATIVE *note NATIVE not introduced* bugs and animals serve a vital part of the ecosystem and killing them hurts the ecosystem and thus destorys the work of God. So in short is it a sin to kill bugs per se. Nope. Is it is sin to destory the work of God. Yep.

Posted

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jun 12 2004, 05:29 AM'] Wait, aren't we immortal? Well, our souls anyway? Isn't that what makes our souls different from that of a bug? [/quote]
Yes. That, and we humans, unlike animals, are created in the image and likeness of God.

God bless,

Jen

Posted

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Jun 12 2004, 11:42 PM'] But NATIVE *note NATIVE not introduced* bugs and animals serve a vital part of the ecosystem and killing them hurts the ecosystem and thus destorys the work of God. So in short is it a sin to kill bugs per se. Nope. Is it is sin to destory the work of God. Yep. [/quote]
I think that'd depend, Jacob. Killing animals isn't always sinful. Hunting isn't sinful. When people prune a herd of deer, they're doing a good thing. But killing animals that are bordering on extinction seems pretty sinful to me.

Animal cruelty is always wrong. It usually serves as a precursor to human cruelty in those who willingly abuse animals. Plus, it seems wrong to abuse God's creation and to hurt innocent creatures for no good reason at all.

God bless,

Jen

Posted

[quote name='BeenaBobba' date='Jun 12 2004, 10:08 PM'] I think that'd depend, Jacob. Killing animals isn't always sinful. Hunting isn't sinful. When people prune a herd of deer, they're doing a good thing. But killing animals that are bordering on extinction seems pretty sinful to me.

Animal cruelty is always wrong. It usually serves as a precursor to human cruelty in those who willingly abuse animals. Plus, it seems wrong to abuse God's creation and to hurt innocent creatures for no good reason at all.

God bless,

Jen [/quote]
Yeh but that kinda falls into my point. If we didn't kill all the fox and wolf packs would we have to kill deer to control the population. We shouldn't have killed the predators. But at least we are mostly trying to fix that and pruning is okay until you fix it. But in my mind, though pruning isn't sinful, natural predation is always better. Systems made by God tend to work better than systems made by man to repair damage done to God's systems.

And to me crulety and killing threatened aninamls is always bad.

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jun 12 2004, 03:40 AM'] the dingo ate my baby... [/quote]
Is that a song or something? LOL!

homeschoolmom
Posted

It's a line from a Meryl Streep movie... a very bad one at that... She went camping with her family and, well, the dingo ate her baby... (cept I don't think it did... I think she killed him.).... I just remember her horid Australian accent...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...