An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cistercian Customs

John Paul

I second the recommendation of the Charles Cumming book on Monastic Practices above as (from what I remember) it not only details practices but leads one into their deeper meaning.
http://www.amazon.com/Monastic-Practices-Cistercian-Studies-Cummings/dp/0879079754/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Also highly recommended is the late Dom Andre Louf's The Cistercian Way:
http://www.amazon.com/Cistercian-Way-Studies-76/dp/0879079762/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1428863260&sr=8-4&keywords=Andre+Louf

graciandelamadrededios

THE MANNER OF MAKING THE SIGNS USED IN THE CISTERCIAN ORDER

In making the signs, the right hand is always used when only one hand is necessary; and when one finger is sufficient, the forefinger is always used, unless another is specially mentioned.  Noises with the mouth, in order to make the signs understood, are absolutely forbidden.  The days of the week are counted by one finger for Sunday, two for Monday, and so on.  To signify a room, workshop, etc., the sign of house is made, and that of the person who occupies it or of the things which are made or kept there, etc.  Employments not mentioned here are signified by the pace or thing in question, adding to it the sign of charge or work, and that of Choir Religious orLay Brother.

A

Abbot.  Touch the forehead with the tips of the two first fingers.

Acid.  See Sour.

Acolyte.  Make the sign of Choir Religious or Novice, and put the right hand under the left elbow, raising the forearm and forefinger.

After.   Put the hand, stretched out, near the hip, and draw it backwards.

Agony.  The signs of dead and little.

Alb.  Pinch the cowl or robe near the knee and add the sign of Mass.

All.  Move the closed hand several times from left to right.

Altar.  The signs of table and Mass.  For the High Altar, add the sign of big, and for the lesser altars, that of Saint.

Altar-cloth.  The signs of linen and altar.

Amice.  Make the sign of linen, and put the hand flat on the head.

Angel.  The sings of wing and saint.

Angelus.  Make three times the sign of ringing and that of Our Lady.

Animal.  Curve the finger and move it at the end of the nose.

Antiphonal.  The signs of book, chant, and Matins.

Apostle.  The sings of saint, sermon, and red.

Apple.  Make the sign of pear with the little finger.

Apron.  The sign of serve.

Arrange (to).  Pass both hands over the chest once.

Ass.  Make the sign of animal and put the thumb on the ear, raising and moving the fingers.

Assistant.  The sign of serve.

Assistant Cantor.  The signs of serve and Cantor.

Awaken (to).  Make the sign of sleep, and then rub the eyes or make the sign of finish.

They are taken from the book “Regulations of the Order of the Cistercians of the Strict Observance.  Published by the General Chapter of 1926.

THE MANNER OF MAKING THE SIGNS USED IN THE CISTERCIAN ORDER

In making the signs, the right hand is always used when only one hand is necessary; and when one finger is sufficient, the forefinger is always used, unless another is specially mentioned.  Noises with the mouth, in order to make the signs understood, are absolutely forbidden.  The days of the week are counted by one finger for Sunday, two for Monday, and so on.  To signify a room, workshop, etc., the sign of house is made, and that of the person who occupies it or of the things which are made or kept there, etc.  Employments not mentioned here are signified by the pace or thing in question, adding to it the sign of charge or work, and that of Choir Religious orLay Brother.

A

Abbot.  Touch the forehead with the tips of the two first fingers.

Acid.  See Sour.

Acolyte.  Make the sign of Choir Religious or Novice, and put the right hand under the left elbow, raising the forearm and forefinger.

After.   Put the hand, stretched out, near the hip, and draw it backwards.

Agony.  The signs of dead and little.

Alb.  Pinch the cowl or robe near the knee and add the sign of Mass.

All.  Move the closed hand several times from left to right.

Altar.  The signs of table and Mass.  For the High Altar, add the sign of big, and for the lesser altars, that of Saint.

Altar-cloth.  The signs of linen and altar.

Amice.  Make the sign of linen, and put the hand flat on the head.

Angel.  The sings of wing and saint.

Angelus.  Make three times the sign of ringing and that of Our Lady.

Animal.  Curve the finger and move it at the end of the nose.

Antiphonal.  The signs of book, chant, and Matins.

Apostle.  The sings of saint, sermon, and red.

Apple.  Make the sign of pear with the little finger.

Apron.  The sign of serve.

Arrange (to).  Pass both hands over the chest once.

Ass.  Make the sign of animal and put the thumb on the ear, raising and moving the fingers.

Assistant.  The sign of serve.

Assistant Cantor.  The signs of serve and Cantor.

Awaken (to).  Make the sign of sleep, and then rub the eyes or make the sign of finish.

They are taken from the book “Regulations of the Order of the Cistercians of the Strict Observance.  Published by the General Chapter of 1926.

​Thank you so much gracian I hoped you would come but your profile said you hadn't visited since March 1.Please post more on the Cistercians !

truthfinder

It means all the psalms get said during the week. I believe the EF breviary is generally divided that way (although in some seasons psalms do get left out). It would typically mean more psalms at any given office. Five psalms at lauds for example, in the EF, over 3. Someone should have a link for the way the osb one week schedule works (I imagine it would be very similar in the Cistercian and Trappist offices). 

I don't know if you're interested in an historical study or in lived Cistercian life, but a lot of this strikes me as archaeology more than anything else. I would note that most Cistercians no longer use sign language and that there is considerable variation from monastery to monastery. Yes, some get up at 3 am, but others get up at 2 am, while yet others (a minority) get up at 5 am. As I remember, the fundamental principle is that the nocturnal character of the night office should be maintained. Likewise, the psalm schedules vary from monastery to monastery and most (certainly among the Trappists) follow a two-week psalm schedule.

If you're personally interested in Cistercian life (as opposed to an historical study of things that no longer exist) I would highly recommend visiting a Cistercian monastery and speaking to one of the monks. 

• 1 month later...

JP have you read Seven Storey Mountain? I read it in the monastery and enjoyed it. Probably Trappists are sick of Thomas Merton being the only one people ever mention, but as far as learning about customs and the daily life, it's quite good.

​I read it at the abbey I went too two weeks ago.