An Old School Catholic Message Board

head transplant

ReinnieR

truthfinder

​In terms of the economics of health, they would call that a perverse incentive. Similar incentives definitely manifest in other areas of health care, for instance the reality of physician-induced-demand. Unfortunately people turn that into an emotional issue, and get offended that economists also consider doctors to be working in their own best interests.

​I may be misunderstanding you, but this sounds all very utilitarian and why doctors need ethics and morality.

Nihil Obstat

​I may be misunderstanding you, but this sounds all very utilitarian and why doctors need ethics and morality.

It really depends. Physician induced demand is probably more psychological than anything. But risk gaming is probably an area with more directly ethical dimensions. Every different sort of perverse incentive seems to have very different underlying causes, and many are caused by trying to rectify others.

truthfinder

It happened by complete chance, but I came across this presentation poster.  I don't know what the doctor argued, but the poster itself clearly states that there are proposals being floated which would allow organs to be harvested before death. http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/historical-studies/sites/files/historical-studies/public/users/bentcorr/unimportance_of_death.pdf

There have been a lot of things which have been thought wild, such as three-parent embryos, and yet they seem to be a reality (or at least a legal option).  

It happened by complete chance, but I came across this presentation poster.  I don't know what the doctor argued, but the poster itself clearly states that there are proposals being floated which would allow organs to be harvested before death. http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/historical-studies/sites/files/historical-studies/public/users/bentcorr/unimportance_of_death.pdf

There have been a lot of things which have been thought wild, such as three-parent embryos, and yet they seem to be a reality (or at least a legal option).  

​Sounds dangerously like a "give the organs to the more 'productive' member of society" rule...

truthfinder

​Sounds dangerously like a "give the organs to the more 'productive' member of society" rule...

Yep. Although like Nihil has already said, there are judgements being made. Ie, an addict isn't going to get an organ over someone who is otherwise "healthy". 

Nihil Obstat

Pretty much every attempt at a sort of moral calculus to determine organ donations typically gets pretty icky if you give it much of a push. :P