An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feeling Nervous

totustuus20

SophiaMaria

I can relate to you in this.  I too am waiting to hear back from a community. The last bit, the psychological assessment,  was sent off about three weeks ago. The waiting game isn't that much fun but it is what it is.  Contacting them may not be the best idea at this point,  give them more time. Life can get busy in religious life and there just might be other things going on right now. You wouldn't want them to rush through anything and make a quick decision.  Pray for them in their decision making process and trust in the Lord. Don't over think things or obsess about it but just focus on the Lord and growing in holiness with where the Lord has you right now.  Please pray for me as I wait as well,  and be assured of mine for you. 

I have not heard from the postulant mistress or the clinic in over a month. I sent all of the paperwork in 2 weeks ago, so I feel like I should be hearing from them soon. How long until I should contact them to make sure they have not forgotten about me? I do not want to seem high maintenance or needy by contacting them constantly.

​Good approach.

I guarantee they have not forgotten you! With the vocations shortage, do you really think they'll just forget that someone has applied to join them?

I don't know what process they have to go through on their end - wait for the psych eval? one person or fifteen people have to read it? do they have to convene a meeting for all the readers to discuss it? do they run your eval past some other professional on their end?

"Trust in the Lord, you shall not tire."

totustuus20

​Good approach.

I guarantee they have not forgotten you! With the vocations shortage, do you really think they'll just forget that someone has applied to join them?

I don't know what process they have to go through on their end - wait for the psych eval? one person or fifteen people have to read it? do they have to convene a meeting for all the readers to discuss it? do they run your eval past some other professional on their end?

"Trust in the Lord, you shall not tire."

​I haven't had the psych evaluation yet, because I have to schedule it through them. They have psychiatrists in their order who do the assessment, and then afterwords, the postulant mistress will present me to the General counsel and they will vote on whether or not to admit me.

Don't contact them.  After your psych exam, you'll have to chill out even more waiting for their final decision after the presentation to the General Council

Watch all of the old sitcoms, movies and comedies that you've enjoyed in the past. You won't be able to do this after you enter.  I enjoy reading a Calvin & Hobbes collection when I am nervous.  I get a lot of laughs from it.

AveMariaPurissima

When I get nervous or worried, what I try to remember to do is to imagine looking straight into Jesus' eyes and tell Him simply, "I trust You."

Sound advice here, Totustuus!  What we fear most rarely happens...and a certain amount of anxiety is normal.  Just be yourself when you take the exam.  Trying to be "too perfect" can strain credulity/believability.  The community simply needs to know you better--and how compatible your personality is--with religious life.  Meanwhile, live in the present moment (hic et nunc...the here and now) where "My grace is sufficient for thee" (2 Corinthians).  And remember "...do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matthew 6).  Expect the best!

Peace.

• 4 weeks later...
totustuus20

I just wanted to let all of you know that I am not going to be entering in August.. I don't really want to talk about it, on the internet or otherwise. I think I am going to be taking a break from VS for a while.

Thinking of you, totustuus, hope everything will be well.  In a long life, one of the big things I've learned is the value of flexibility and adaptation.  Life is change, try to keep your perspective.