An Old School Catholic Message Board

Digital Breviary usage - for ordained/consecrated/obliged persons- is it OK?

oremus1

Not sure if my question is phrased correctly - but people under some sort of obligation to say some or all of the breviary - priests, most CVs, deacons, some third orders etc - do you ever use a Breviary 'app' or Kindle device?

I have some priest friends who use an I-phone breviary app, another one who uses an unapproved website translation on an electronic device. I personally can see the convenience of an electronic app or such - lightweight, small, no page flipping or messing about with Ordos, no worries about the special rules etc, especially for those who say EF breviary in entirety.

But is  this allowed? Theoretically I can't see why not, but there seems an idea that using the books is more orthodox or something.

Is there any advantage to using the books over using the digital media?

• 2 weeks later...
DeoOptimoMaximo

It is allowed.  I use both types of media.  However, the best reason I can see for using the "hard copy" is the theological symbolism for using an item (book) that has only one purpose and is solely dedicated to prayer.

Sometimes it does seem a bit weird to use an iPhone for praying the Office and also for surfing the net. 

Anyway, just my personal two cents.

I have a dear friend who is a retired bishop, who often says his Office from an app on his iPad. Among other things, he can enlarge the typeface, which is very helpful for aging eyes (He still has the same 4-volume breviary he got when he was ordained over 60 years ago!).

truthfinder

Yes, I know a priest who says his office from his iphone. With the EF, it's more important that they're actually saying it in Latin (some apps have a translation).  

Credo in Deum

BrevMeum is a great EF Breviary App made by the Franciscans of the Immaculate.  Has the Latin w/ English translation.  You can even cache up to a week so then if you are traveling in an area without data you will still be able to pray your office.  I have it on my iPhone and iPad.  I don't know if it is available for android or windows devices.

Edited by Credo in Deum

BrevMeum is a great EF Breviary App made by the Franciscans of the Immaculate.  Has the Latin w/ English translation.  You can even cache up to a week so then if you are traveling in an area without data you will still be able to pray your office.  I have it on my iPhone and iPad.  I don't know if it is available for android or windows devices.

​It's not on Android. I just checked.

:(

truthfinder

BrevMeum is basically just the app form of divinumofficium (but with some of the other prayers one might want - Angelus, etc. along with various blessing for priests to use).