An Old School Catholic Message Board

an abrupt change of vocation ?

NadaTeTurbe

NadaTeTurbe

In our vocation group, there is a boy (22 years, CPGE, so a smart by), let's call him V., who was discerning a vocation to the priesthood with an old missionary order of priest. It's a good, old, missionary order, who has between 2 and 4 ordination by year. 

But two weeks ago, he called us to said he was leaving the discernement group, because he was entering the seminary of the Legionnaries of Christ. I never heard of them, I did a quick google research... and well... :wacko:

We are really worried. I mean, it could be a real vocation, but it's so abrupt, and the order is so problematic... I tried to call him, but he did not want to speak about his decision, and told me that soon he will not be allowed to speak with us ?? What to do ? 

Contact someone he trusts, like a priest who has advised him, possibly one in the original missionary order he was discerning with. Tell that person what's happened and ask them to reach out to him. It sounds like a case of a young man who's so eager to get into seminary that he just jumped on whatever opportunity opened up first, without considering where God is really (slowly) leading him. (I've seen this before, in a friend.)

And oh my gosh, PRAY LIKE THE DICKENS!!!

Why don't you start a novena for him either here in the VS, or in the Prayer Board?

Edited by Gabriela

NadaTeTurbe

I don't know who has advised him in the original order, but we will be looking for us. I don't think he is so eager to get into seminary that he just jumped. It's a lovely young man but full of guilt. I'm sure that if a priest told him "god is calling you and you're not answering right now ??" he will feel guilty. 

I posted a novena/prayer to Ste Geneviève in the prayer room thanks ! 

veritasluxmea

I will be praying :nun3: Mary, Mother of all vocations, pray for your son!

I second G's advice, try to find someone he trusts (a parent, teacher, anyone in his parish maybe? anyone?) and have them reach out.

TheresaThoma

I'll be praying. I know the feeling myself of wanting to jump at the first community that will take you. It took a very wise Sister to make me realize I was not truely called there and was continuing my discernment (or lack there of) for all the wrong reasons.

Definitely find someone he trusts and reach out to them. I wouldn't mention your reservations about the community itself but just mention that this came up rather abruptly and you are concerned he would talk about it. Without any more information from him anything else is pure speculation.

NadaTeTurbe

Okay, I writed a long mail to the man from his first community, and to his sister. I say I am worried, I speak about his guilt-problem, and how "influençable" he can be, but I don't speak about the LC. Hope it will help.