An Old School Catholic Message Board

I would like to donate a four volume LOTH to an aspirant

Marie-Therese

Marie-Therese

So, I have a basically brand new four volume, black leather set of the LOTH that I would like to gift to someone who is preparing for religious life.  I've prayed through two of the volumes (ordinary time 1 and the Lenten/Easter volume) but the other two are unused in any way.  I'm transitioning over to praying the LOBVM and feel led to gift my LOTH to someone who will need it going into consecrated life.  If you are interested, please PM me.  I'll say right away that I reserve the discretion to make the decision as to whom the set will be given.  When you PM, tell me about yourself, a bit of your background, the order with which you're discerning (if applicable), your spirituality, etc., anything that you feel I might need to know about you.  I will wait until May 1st (two weeks from today) to allow anyone interested to message me, and then I will make my decision.  

I hope I can be helpful to some discerner here and may God bless your vocation.

MT

TheresaThoma

That is a wonderful offer to make. I know some young women on here have struggled to find affordable 4 volume sets.

If no one comes forward here maybe contact a local community and see if they require their postulants to have it and if so gift it to their next postulant.

The community I am discerning with has their own versions of the LOTH (its kind of like a customized version of Christian Prayer) so it is not something that I will foreseeably need. 

MargaretTeresa

That is a wonderful offer to make. I know some young women on here have struggled to find affordable 4 volume sets.

If no one comes forward here maybe contact a local community and see if they require their postulants to have it and if so gift it to their next postulant.

The community I am discerning with has their own versions of the LOTH (its kind of like a customized version of Christian Prayer) so it is not something that I will foreseeably need. 

​There's several communities like this, I've discovered. The Daughters of Charity have their own version, and of course my Paulines use an older version of Christian Prayer. (Oh, how I wish I could find a copy for a decent price!)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

If you don't find a home please consider us as we are in need of some extra sets! We rebind ours when the old binding from the 70's falls off. We often don't have enough copies when we have nun guests, aspirants and friars visiting.

We used to provide sets for new postulants but now that we don't have them they have to buy them and it is truly a hardship for many. It is also IMPOSSIBLE to get copeis at a bookstore discount as the company doesn't have reasonable terms. You have purchase something like $2,000 a year in products from them!

IgnatiusofLoyola

If you don't find a home please consider us as we are in need of some extra sets! We rebind ours when the old binding from the 70's falls off. We often don't have enough copies when we have nun guests, aspirants and friars visiting.

We used to provide sets for new postulants but now that we don't have them they have to buy them and it is truly a hardship for many. It is also IMPOSSIBLE to get copeis at a bookstore discount as the company doesn't have reasonable terms. You have purchase something like $2,000 a year in products from them!

​Thank-you for posting this. When we think of providing gifts for your Community, we don't usually think of things like the LOTH. (I don't know why we don't think of this--it's not as if LOTH "fall from the sky like manna from heaven." Even if the cost of a full set would be too expensive for one of us, perhaps a few of us in VS could pool our resources to pay for a set for you. Your need must be getting critical because, not only do you have two new postulants, but (I think) you may have at least two aspirants "waiting in the wings" who may be delayed due to financial issues, but, who, God willing, could be entering in the next year or so. We'll keep you in our prayers, and if anyone here on VS wants to donate some money so that several of us could combine our resources to purchase a LOTH, just PM me.

Note to Sister Mary Catharine: When you have a chance will you send me a PM or an email with the cost of a full set of the LOTH and the bookstore/company from which you purchase the volumes? Thanks!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

• 2 weeks later...
Marie-Therese

Just a reminder that I'll be selecting the recipient of the LOTH set tomorrow.  Some folks have PMed me but did not reply with information, so unless I have names/info I can't consider those requests.  I am going to write all the names on paper, pray and ask the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and then I will draw a recipient.  This way there will be no unintentional personal impact on the result.  If anyone else wishes to be considered, you have until tomorrow (May 1) at 0900 CST (USA) to send me a message.  I will not post any names here in the thread, but will message the recipient privately to notify them and to get mailing information.  If they choose to post after that then I'll leave it to their discretion.

May God bless you all in your discernment!

MT