An Old School Catholic Message Board

There's no place like home...reflections after a visit

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

Reprinted from Our Franciscan Fiat
I just got back from spending some days back in West St. Paul, Minnesota. I had been asked to speak at a few gatherings (church youth group, my former professor's writing class, and a benefit dinner for the youth group). I'm not very experienced in public speaking, except for a small weekly Bible study for our residents and a college class in the discipline over ten years ago, but I thought I'd better do it when asked. While I was there, I also got the chance to go swimming, something I haven't done in quite a long time. We used to go to the city pool very often in the summer when I was growing up, and I love the water! I had fairly long hair as a girl, and the chlorine took its toll on my prized position at the time (that is, my hair). My mom had to trim the split ends and cut more than I wanted. Little did I know at the time that one day my hair would be very short! Last Thursday, with my short hair, after the fun-filled swim, I didn't need much shampoo (a short hair cut does have its perks.)

Along with the nerve-racking speaking engagements, I also had the chance to see some family and friends, which was nice. I also saw some former members of the church youth group that I hadn't run into in years. It gave me a funny, awkward feeling to come back "home" and to realize that life keeps moving on, with or without me. I used to know the ages of all my cousins, neighbors, and family friends, what grade they were in, and so forth; now, we are all young adults with lives of our own outside the family environments in which we grew up. As I've moved away and embraced a new life, I'm no longer "up on all the details" as I once was. Although I am grateful for this time of my "home visit" and very much appreciate the people who made it possible (namely my parents and people who filled in back here), I was also very grateful to come back to St. Anne's in Grand Forks, which is my new home. I felt the truth in the common saying, "It's nice to go, and nice to get back again."

Sr. Christina M. Neumann, OSF

Edited by sr.christinaosf

SophiaMaria

Glad to hear you had a nice home visit.  I'm friends with your sister.  She's a good Woman.  It must be a huge blessing to have a supportive family when you go for home visit but still a blessing to return to your new home.  Could you share a bit with us about what home visits were like for you in the beginning and how family and friends reacted? 

sr.christinaosf

It's a small world!  We are given two weeks a year for our home visit. In the beginning, I took it all at once.  Actually, during the canonical year of novitiate, we do not go home so the time got filled visiting people I hadn't seen for a while.  Now, to make scheduling easier, I've been asked to break it up.  I don't really know what to say as to how people reacted.  They accepted my vocation and life went on.  Even before I became a sister, I think most people knew I was looking into it (after I became open about the fact.)

sr.christinaosf

I might mention I haven't been taking a full two weeks at home lately, due to various issues.  Last year, I spent part of my time helping with our Mother-Daughter Days program at our provincial house in Hankinson.  My mom also was on the weekend.  I'd like to do that again this year.