An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara

Yaatee

...the SSVM's.  Has anyone discerned with them?  One of the fastest growing western institutes (origin in Argentina) of women in the world and, I think, in the US, with active and contemplative branches.  Striking habit.  Young, very young,  entrants, possibly out of high school.

http://ssvmusa.org/

veritasluxmea

From what I hear there are some concerns with them, they're still working things out. One of their sisters was featured in the Light of Love film. I love their habits... I heard the blue represents Christ's divinity and the grey represents His humanity. 

Journeywithchrist

I know of a blog that has posted information about why they aren't so great but I don't want to post it on here in case that's not appropriate. There are a lot of concerns about how they treat discerners/new members. 

NadaTeTurbe

I know the blog, the focus is on the male part. The writer of the blog is 100% catholic, and only post information that are true (the fact that ordination were suspended, etc...). I met an ex-IVE priest, once. How they treat seminarians/priest was not good. I don't know about the female branch. They seems to be growing and they were not under the same investigation than the male part. 

I would say, be carefull and listen to the Spirit. 

My understanding is that concerns extend to the sisters, but all this is hearsay. If you are interested in them, Yaatee, you should contact them. If you feel ANY PRESSURE AT ALL TO ENTER, you should walk away. If you have any questions about things you encounter in your discernment with them, you're always welcome to ask whether that behavior is "suspicious" or inappropriate here in the VS.

We'll be with you all the way. :)

SophiaMaria

I visited the sisters in Harlem About 9 years ago. I honestly don't remember too much about them. I was there two days with two friends. I thought they were nice but had no desire to pursue anything further with them for various reasons. Subsequently I have  had heard mixed things about them. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

I am aware of concerns in the female branch. On the other hand, unless my information is out-of-date (which it easily could be) there is at least one former Phatmasser who is still with the SSVMs, and apparently doing well.

To Yaatee--In fairness to everyone, including the SSVMs, if you decide to pursue discerning with the SSVM's, I'd suggest making a post to that effect here on VS, and ask for anyone with who has information (ideally first-hand experience), or has links to blogs (I'm pretty sure there is more than one) to send you a PM.

A public forum such as VS is not the place to discuss the specifics of possible concerns, particularly since the privacy of individuals is involved. That said, it is only fair for everyone to have any available information when they discern with an Order. Also, an Order that is not right for one individual may be where God is calling another individual.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I am working on a Pinterest Board on Religious Communities and when I visited the SSVM page I found the following. I do not believe I have seen Formation broken down in this format.

.servidorasdelsenor.org/en/about-our-formation

Also is this the order that Theresa Benedicta entered a few years ago?

My original question was of a very general nature.  They appear to be one of the fastest growing women's communities in the US and this sparked my interest. I am interested in following the communities which appear to be growing the fastest, aside from the Nashville and Ann Arbor Dominicans.

IgnatiusofLoyola

My original question was of a very general nature.  They appear to be one of the fastest growing women's communities in the US and this sparked my interest. I am interested in following the communities which appear to be growing the fastest, aside from the Nashville and Ann Arbor Dominicans.

​I think your original post was very clear that you were only asking a general question.

My response to you was advice of what you might do IF you later decide to discern with the SSVMs. But, it sounds as if right now you are at the "general research" stage in your discernment.

I hope your discernment goes well!

The SSVM sisters are all over Washington, D.C.  When we were their in October, A day didn't go by when we didn't see at least 4-5 group of 2-4 sisters on the sidewalks.

The SSVM sisters are all over Washington, D.C.  When we were their in October, A day didn't go by when we didn't see at least 4-5 group of 2-4 sisters on the sidewalks.

​A number of them study at Catholic University for master's degrees. I don't know if they go to college there. I find this interesting as I don't know if they teach. They appear to be involved in recreational and catechetical work (which, I guess, would explain the advanced degrees.)