An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advice on this?

KarenJoanna

KarenJoanna

So I have been unemployed for a few months now, deciding what to do with my future. I am thinking of becoming an emt since it does not take a long time to train to become one. I was going to join the military but decided to leave it for now since anyways,  even if I did join right now it would take a long time because I still need to lose weight etc. and I don't want to be that long without a job. However, since I was 18 or 19( I am 22 right now) I felt called to religious life and found a community that I liked and I have been in contact with them since like 1 year ago or longer I believe. I think some of you know this community, it's The Order of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of Jesus and Mary in Hopedale Ohio. I was thinking since I have time right now and feel like I should visit them this year and discern with them before making any decisions about getting a job. I have a school loan and debts though and I would need to find a way of raising money for the plane ticket to Ohio, since I live in California, so I am wondering if it is a good idea to start discerning with them. A while back, I emailed  Sr. Teresa(the vocation director of the order back then) and she wrote to me that I could start visiting communities. What do you guys think? I am also thinking of going to my parish priest who is my regular confessor for advice too.

Oh Discern with this community.You will be missing out if you don't visit this community.They are amesome.And also listen to Sr.Teresa of the Two Hearts.If you call tell them to pray for Trent.(Who may or may not be me.):)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

My suggestion is that you get a job and save enough money to fly to OH, see if this is where God is calling you and then take it from there. Yes, there are organizations and generous people willing to help you because of school debt but the debt is still your responsibility and you should make efforts to reduce it.

It's not for everyone but I found waitressing a great way to earn money as a short term job and one that I could maybe earn more if I satisfied customers. That was how I saved money to fly to visit communities and to slowly pay off my loan. 

Holding a job is also a good way to show to a community that you are mature and responsible. 

I would second the advice of Sr. Mary Catharine OP.  

Digging deep and finding a way to stick with a job (that wasn't a great fit for me and I didn't care too much for) so that I could pay off my debt was one of the hardest, most terribly challenging things for me.   It took me several years!  But God powerfully used that time to shape my heart in sooooo many different ways (which I couldn't even recognize or imagine until afterwards) and I know He would do the same for you.  

Plus as Sr. Mary Catharine said, it will show the Community that you are self-sacrificing and mature.  Debt is a major burden on people and on religious communities.  Try your best to not allow them to have to question if they can or should take you because of the debt.  Even if they take you before it's completely gone, they will be happy that you did everything you could.   And if your vocation is elsewhere, you will still be happy it's gone because you'll be free to pursue and/or enjoy whatever it is God calls you to do!  

But while you are doing that, you can still discern with them.  :)   Let them know of your interest, and do as you've been doing!  Keep in contact with them, introduce some of their prayers or spirituality into your own life, and trust Jesus with every fiber of your being.  

Stay close to Him in prayer, with them through regular contact, and work to get yourself into a situation where saying yes to the Lord's call will be a good for both you and the Community!  

I know how tough staring down that debt can be...you have my prayers!  

OnlySunshine

My suggestion is that you get a job and save enough money to fly to OH, see if this is where God is calling you and then take it from there. Yes, there are organizations and generous people willing to help you because of school debt but the debt is still your responsibility and you should make efforts to reduce it.

It's not for everyone but I found waitressing a great way to earn money as a short term job and one that I could maybe earn more if I satisfied customers. That was how I saved money to fly to visit communities and to slowly pay off my loan. 

Holding a job is also a good way to show to a community that you are mature and responsible. 

​I completely agree with Sr. MC.  I was unemployed for several years while discerning and I really believe that communities saw this as me being unwilling to commit.  Now, I am both employed and a student (about to start my internship in the Fall) and I am more mature, committed, and focused than I was before.  You'll have many responsibilities in religious life and regular life.  It's important to show communities that you can be responsible and focused before you enter.  Plus, the more you reduce your debt, the sooner you will be able to enter if you find a community that you like and they accept you.  Waiting until you meet them is like putting all your eggs in one basket.  Usually, the first community is not the last community you will visit.  Discerning is like dating - you almost never marry the first guy you date.  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Mary+Immaculate<3

I love the OSIHJM :)

What the others are saying is good, definitely do your best to raise funds fast for loans, while not pushing yourself in working so much that you ignore discerning. Because I think the devil really likes when we push off discerning and prayer for the sake of work. Work is essential, but God also tells us not to worry what we are to eat, drink, or wear because he watches after even the swallows. I'd encourage you to contact them if you feel drawn to them, and think the plane trip will be worth it. Reading about the charism and life is helpful like Corban said, it can really be a guide in helping see whether it is for you or not. Obviously there is not substitute for living in, but you could try something like following the schedule as much as possible on a day off some time, see what it is like a little.

Also, I talked to Sr. Teresa recently and she said they are building a dorm for the brothers right now, so the brothers are in their retreat house. You'd want to ask her what the rules are about staying in the sisters' dorm because I think you have to be pretty serious about entering to do that. She said I should call back about July or August because that was the estimation of the builder. 

Here is a meditation from the website that might be helpful, I'm not sure if you've read the whole sight (like me ;) ) or not, but it is a good article:

http://heartsofjesusandmary.com/a-meditation-for-discerning-your-vocation/

TheresaThoma

I would try to find a job, even if it is part time or temporary. There is a difference between finding a job, starting a career. Working does limit the potential time for you to make visits but communities are aware of that. Also visiting costs money (plane tickets food other expenses). I am very blessed to live within driving distance but I still have to pay for gas to get there and back, Plus you will want to have some money saved up for expenses if you enter and/or discern out.  If you have student loans there is even more reason to find a job. Yes there are groups out there that help with student loans but typically they are more willing to help if you have made progress on your loans by yourself.

Swami Mommy

You could always set up a 'Go Fund Me' page on Facebook to raise funds, or perhaps get creative and have a fundraiser for your vocational financial needs at your church hall or fire hall, like a spaghetti dinner or something similar.  Ask your pastor if you could advertise in the church bulletin (with a paid ad) or your local pennysaver newspaper.  If you're trying to pay off debt quickly, you have to think outside the box to generate a sizable return on your time and energy.  Slogging away at a minimum pay job would take a long time to raise adequate funds to pay off student loans and I personally think that imagination, enterprise and drive would also be looked upon favorably by an order in addition to your personal fiscal and job discipline.  My old boss once wanted to do volunteer work in the Dominican Republic or someplace like that and sent out personal letters to all his friends and fellow parishioners asking for funds to help subsidize his trip.  He raised enough money through donations to pay his entire way.

:o)Katherine:o)

Find a part time or full time job that would be willing to work with your schedule if you were to go visit the sisters. Your priest might even be able to help you find a job in a local parish or the diocese. It will help you save money to visit the sisters and any other communities but also help you pay towards your debt. When I graduated from college I began discerning with different communities. Many vocation directors were more open once I had a job. I am also overweight and when I started becoming healthier and slowly losing weight the interest from them grew. It shows that you have a drive, commitment, and responsibility. Continue to be in contact with Sr. Teresa. As someone said above, don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Be open to whatever God is calling you and if it is to religious life, be open to the community. This may be the stepping stone to get you in that direction. :)

Swami Mommy

KarenJoanna, check out this article on EMT pay scales for different parts of the country:  http://allhealthcare.monster.com/careers/articles/1881-top-10-best-and-worst-states-to-be-an-emtparamedic-

You might want to compare the salaries of EMT's with that of licensed practical nurses who probably require the same number of years of training, particularly if you're looking to maximize your savings potential to pay off your debts and student loans.  Are you going to be able to live in your parents' home while you pay off your financial liabilities?

Swami Mommy

I don't know what kind of debt load you've got, but as far as student loans go, let's say by way of example that you owe $20,000.  If you wanted to pay that off in two years, that means you would need to put $10,000 per year towards the debt.  $10,000 divided by 50 weeks in the year (I'm giving you two weeks off for unpaid vacation!) means that you will need to earn $200.00 per week NET to apply to your debt.  If you are not still living with your parents, then that's a sizable chunk of change to add to your weekly/monthly living expenses to ensure that you meet your goal of paying off your debt in two years, and that's assuming that you take on no more additional credit card debt or car payments in the meantime.  If the job you decide upon is not financially lucrative enough you're going to have to figure out a way to earn supplemental income to make up the deficit.  And, If you don't have a financial plan in place to meet your goal and keep you on track, then your time to get your financial affairs in order could drag on for several more years.  When you start earning an income, automatic savings taken directly out of your paycheck might assist you in learning how to live off of what you have left.  This would certainly give you a taste of the vow of poverty LOL! 

I once read an article about a guy who had $30,000 in school loans to pay off.  He went to his local town hall to check on town codes first, and got the clearance to go door-to-door in neighborhoods that had street curbs and asked the residents if they would like him to stencil their house number on their curb with night-glo paint so people visiting them at night could find their house.  He charged $5.00 per house and his only out-of-pocket costs were spray paint and number stencils that he got from a craft store.  The article said it took him only ten minutes per house to do (which would equal $30.00 pay per hour!) and he paid off his loans in just a couple of years doing it full time.  Now, I'm not suggesting that you have to do something as unusual as that, but you get the idea that ingenuity may be required to earn more beyond your standard paycheck if you don't have a profession that pays very well.  And it will truly test your self-discipline, no matter what route you choose to pay off your debt over time.  What great training for living a life of regularity, frugality, focus and dedication!

Edited by Swami Mommy
word deletion

KarenJoanna

Thanks for the responses :) I will find a job and try to pay off as much as I can.  All of you gave me good advice, I was thinking of working before this post but thought I would ask first others for advice to make sure what was the wisest move.  

Teach For America is extremely selective and competitive, and requires extensive recommendations. It is not just something to "do." Most of the students I have recommended who have been selected have been high honors graduates of my university. I mention this simply because it is not an alternative to getting a job to paying off debt. It is a serious commitment of at least two years, and only about 10% of those who apply get chosen.

NadaTeTurbe

Before meeting with them, why not going to religious communities in California, and there is : 

the Franciscan sisters of the Eucharist : http://www.franciscan-sisters.org/ in San Francisco

the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles http://www.carmelitesistersocd.com/ They are all over California ! 

oblate sisters of jesus the priest in Menlo Park 

etc... 

It doesn't mean you are throwing out the Order of the Sacred Heart, but you can speak with sisters, pray with them, received help, and prayers :D