An Old School Catholic Message Board

How to find Secret Nun cookies

Strictlyinkblot

I remember seeing basically the same thing on a travel show years ago.  I cant find that show clip but if one searches on youtube for buying nun cookies there are a bunch of videos.  Here is the one in the article

This convent sells wine too!!!!!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Don't even think about it! Cookies are a lot of work and require a lot of space which we don't have! And then there is the board of health!

Our nuns in Spain are big on cookies as well as the nuns in France. There is a place in, I think, Toledo, that has has in the front window miniatures of the Dominicans making cookies, etc. I can't find the picture. Maybe later!

I found the article really funny as though the nun cookies were something well, out of this world! :-)

Strictlyinkblot

Awh! And here was me thinking I could take on the role of official taster. 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

You're not the first to suggest it and it would be a huge success!
My dad said that when he was a kid they would go to the Poor Clares and buy bread. They would put the money on the turn and never see a sister. So, when I entered here he thought that that was how we would visit!

I remember seeing basically the same thing on a travel show years ago.  I cant find that show clip but if one searches on youtube for buying nun cookies there are a bunch of videos.  Here is the one in the article

This convent sells wine too!!!!!

​The dude in the last video is so sweet, he seems quite nervous and then pleasantly surprised :)

sr.christinaosf

Cookies don't have to be a ton of work. I serve at St. Anne's Guest Home (for elderly and vulnerable adults) and we get donations of pumpkin, rhubarb, apples, etc., and I use a bit of this in baking goodies for our residents.  Unfortunately, our freezer got accidentally unplugged recently and we lost the remainder of my supply.  I don't know if I'll do much baking now until the next harvest (with rhubarb that might be just around the corner).  

I also have made hot cross buns and soft pretzels (with plenty of help from our activity director.  (You can read about these endeavors on my blog for our Religious Community)

MargaretTeresa

I'm told the Poor Clares in New Orleans sell pralines. I've never had the chance to go by to find out it that was true or not...