An Old School Catholic Message Board

Concerned About Vows

Carson

Hi! Carson here. I was reading James today, and I happened upon this in James 5:12.

12 Above all, my beloved,[a] do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “Yes” be yes and your “No” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.

But what about taking religious vows?

Edited by Carson

TheresaThoma

(Someone please correct me if I am wrong here but this is my understanding). 

This passage of St James is referring to the common practice of swearing an oath for just about anything. Think about when someone says, "I swear to God..." or "God as my witness..." . As it is now and was then people were not realizing how serious it was to swear an oath. James is advising that we should live in a way that swearing an oath is not necessary for our day to day lives. When we swear by heaven or God we are putting God's name on the line, like collateral for a loan, and what happens if we break that oath? Not only does the person condemn us but God condemns us as well. Not exactly a spot we want to find ourselves in.

However there are times when an oath is good or necessary. For example when testifying in a court of law you swear an oath to tell the truth or when a president is sworn into office etc. These are big things. My reading of this is for the everyday things let your yes mean yes and no mean no. You risk a lot  by swearing an oath so don't do it unless you really truely mean it.

With respects to religious vows they are major events and they have a long history in the Bible. Also how much more will a vow mean if you are careful to avoid careless oaths?