An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sister Megan Rice released

Yaatee

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/11/science/behind-nuclear-breach-a-nuns-bold-fervor.html?action=click&contentCollection=Science&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Remarkable story of one 82 year old member of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus, based in Rosemont PA and two men, broke into a supposedly heavily guarded uranium enrichment facility in Oakridge, TN, pained slogans on the walls and splashed blood on the walls, which another protester had had removed and saved specifically for this purpose. (He had previously died). They broke in using wire cutters, and were unapprehended until they had done their painting and throwing, despite armed guards, sensors and control towers.  They were tried in Tennessee, convicted of sabotage, defacing gov't property, etc., and sentenced to five years for the men, and 3 years for the nun, who was then 82 years old.  She has a history of teaching most of her religious life in Africa, and latterly opposing nuclear arms in dozens of demonstrations, being arrested many times, and serving previously 6 months in jail.  She would consider it an honor to die in jail protesting nuclear proliferation. The Energy Department (which oversees nuclear energy and the development of weapons) was apparently so impressed by her, that they commissioned an  oral history  in which she describes her background (MD and PhD's daughter) and development of her anti-nuclear views.

After they were sentenced two years ago a top-notch pro bono legal team materialized out of nowhere to handle their appeal. In the meantime, Sr. Megan spent the last year in the Brooklyn Women's Detention prison, with 100 women in one large room.  When word got out about the conditions there, the crowding was reduced.

The appellate court threw out the conviction for sabotage, the most severe charge, and gave the defendants time served for the others. There is the possibility of a further appeal, but this is considered unlikely.

Sr. Megan entered The Society of the Holy Child Jesus when she was 18 and was educated at Rosemont and Boston Colleges.  She taught much of her life in Africa, sleeping in her classrooms without electricity or running water.  She must have found prison an anticlimax.

NadaTeTurbe

Sister Megan rocks. I'm sure she have been a great help for the other women in prison. 

Sister Megan rocks. I'm sure she have been a great help for the other women in prison. 

She was.  I am sure that she will write a book about this.

I am sorry that the Sisters of Bethany aren't in the states anymore.  They went back to France.