Soldier4Him Posted June 13, 2004 Author Posted June 13, 2004 Oh ok. Never mind then. Mine is officially dead. It won't do anything. It's like windows doesn't respond at all. I go into performance and maintenance in the control panal and try to run the startup/shutdown troubleshooter, but it won't run. I dunno what to do. TinT????
Theologian in Training Posted June 13, 2004 Posted June 13, 2004 Colleen, Also check your battery connections and make sure the plug is fully inserted into the battery. Make sure that the battery is not dying on you, or that you do not have a defective battery also. Soldier4Him, Since you say you keep losing access to certain things on your computer, it sounds like a virus running through, removing important system files. You should try to hit Cntr Alt Del and check to see if any process you don't recognize is using a lot of memory, that might be your culprit Hope this helps
Colleen Posted June 13, 2004 Posted June 13, 2004 [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Jun 13 2004, 01:21 AM'] Colleen, Also check your battery connections and make sure the plug is fully inserted into the battery. Make sure that the battery is not dying on you, or that you do not have a defective battery also. [/quote] Well, the thing is, I almost never have it on the battery anymore. But maybe there's something defective with the cord and the surge protector. I don't know. I'm stupid when it comes to computer hardware. But I'll check and see if there's something wrong with the cord. Oh, and thank you for the advice!
Theologian in Training Posted June 13, 2004 Posted June 13, 2004 [quote name='Colleen' date='Jun 13 2004, 03:23 AM'] Well, the thing is, I almost never have it on the battery anymore. But maybe there's something defective with the cord and the surge protector. I don't know. I'm stupid when it comes to computer hardware. But I'll check and see if there's something wrong with the cord. Oh, and thank you for the advice! [/quote] Yeah, it sounds like a power issue more than anything else. It happened to an HP I had, the pin inside the laptop was damaged and so the adapter was not getting power to the laptop....would have been $500 to repair so my cousin and I opened it up and soldered the pin to the Motherboard.....not the smartest thing, but saved us some cash And, as for the advice, no problem....I have become one of the resident techies over here at the sem....people found out I could fix computers and have a certificate in Network Engineering so I became the guy to go to God Bless
Theologian in Training Posted June 13, 2004 Posted June 13, 2004 [quote name='Soldier4Him' date='Jun 13 2004, 03:20 AM'] Oh ok. Never mind then. Mine is officially dead. It won't do anything. It's like windows doesn't respond at all. I go into performance and maintenance in the control panal and try to run the startup/shutdown troubleshooter, but it won't run. I dunno what to do. TinT???? [/quote] Are you adverse to reformatting? Or did you have some things on the HDD you needed to rescue?
Theologian in Training Posted June 13, 2004 Posted June 13, 2004 Alright, time for TinT to go to bed...if you need anymore help feel free to PM me or I am sure another resident techie here can help if I am not around. Good Night and God Bless
Soldier4Him Posted June 13, 2004 Author Posted June 13, 2004 Oh my gosh you guys.....things are literally disapearing from my start menu. "Run" is gone...."Connect to" is gone....something is seriously wrong here.
Theologian in Training Posted June 13, 2004 Posted June 13, 2004 [quote name='Soldier4Him' date='Jun 13 2004, 03:35 AM'] Oh my gosh you guys.....things are literally disapearing from my start menu. "Run" is gone...."Connect to" is gone....something is seriously wrong here. [/quote] From the internet umdesch4 Cross posting from another discussion: I know it's probably too late to help you, but I'm posting this anyway, in case somebody stumbles upon this thread while looking for a solution to the same problem (like I did, while searching on Google). This problem can occur when you are infected with a virus that seems to be unreported on symantec or any of the other anti-virus resources I've found. If you can get to task manager, go to the Processes tab, and look for a process called 'SYSU.EXE'. If it's running, kill it. Now, if your desktop suddenly returns to normal, then yes, you've got this virus. You're not out of the woods yet. There is probably a folder on your machine called 'C:\Program Files\ddm'. Delete that, of course. You'll probably also want to search your registry for the string 'ddm' and kill most of what you find. In particular the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ddm, and anything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and/or RunOnce that refers to 'ddm' or 'sysu.exe'. As usual, I'll include that this entire procedure is something you should undergo with great care, or leave to a computer guru friend if you're not comfortable with it. I hope this information saves someone out there a few frustrating hours of hair pulling. Your mileage may vary. Hope this helps...sounds to me like you have a very malicious virus An Addendum to this post: access Task Manager by hitting Cntrl Alt Del, and look for the above process. To access your registry...click on Start go to Run and type in Regedit follow the tree HKEY_Local etc and be careful God Bless
Soldier4Him Posted June 13, 2004 Author Posted June 13, 2004 what did u mean by reformatting? i want to save a few files from the comp....i'm gonna try to get 'em on a disk.....but then what? is it really to late to save my comp? now i AM gonna cry
Theologian in Training Posted June 13, 2004 Posted June 13, 2004 [quote name='Soldier4Him' date='Jun 13 2004, 03:46 AM'] what did u mean by reformatting? i want to save a few files from the comp....i'm gonna try to get 'em on a disk.....but then what? is it really to late to save my comp? now i AM gonna cry [/quote] Reformatting basically erases all that was on the HDD only to replace it with a clean copy of your Original Windows Operating System. In other words, making it the way it was when you first got it. However, before doing that I would highly recommend your doing the above if you understand it. It seems like it may help your situation and avoid your having to reformat...or at least buy you some time to rescue what needs to be saved. I really have to go to bed though....so this will be my last reply Like I said, if you need anymore help, drop me a PM, and I will get it tommorrow. Hope that helps Good Night and God Bless
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now