An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can an unimportant ordinary person have a vocation?

oratefratres

oratefratres

You know the people who are:
> Leader of the SVP
> Chair of the Parish Food Bank Committee
> Appointed EMHC and Lector
> very self important and ostentatious in their many ministries

I am not talking about those people.

I am talking about the normal but devout and holy people who spend a lot of time praying and reading scripture and are involved in some things, but do not have many talents. Or quiet people.

Can they have a vocation? How? Because they are not impressing anyone.

PrayerSupporter

I would respond with a definite "Yes."  There are no unimportant or ordinary people in God's eyes.  And He calls whoever He calls.  Impressing people is not what it is about.  He can use the humble to confound the 'wise' and He does. 

Spem in alium

Everyone has a vocation, whether it be to marriage, single life, religious life, or the priesthood - a particular vocation that will help them to be the person they were created to be. And yes, to God, we are all important, special, and unique, and if we simply trust and follow Him He will lead us to fullness of life.

bardegaulois

Vocation is not about impressing people. If you're thinking about it in that sense, then stop it immediately. First of all, we're all unimportant and ordinary, in a certain way of thinking, and that's something that we'll need to accept, unlike the "self-important and ostentatious" types you describe. If you look at some of our greatest saints and mystics, you'll find that they very often resemble the type of people that you describe as "normal but devout and holy." In fact, I think you'll find infinitely more of them in the martyrology than you will parish committee members.

Edited by bardegaulois

..And it's often said that the roads to God are as many as there are individual human beings.  Social standing, occupation, education--committee membership--do not count.  The only important thing is to be open to the Spirit of Love.  Delete "unimportant" as a personal descriptive.  Like Bard noted, there are many "ordinary" people who became saints--and had spiritual experiences of astonishing depth.

NadaTeTurbe

Ste Jeanne d'Arc was a little shepherdess. And God called her to release the King of France ! To lead army ! 
St Jean Marie Vianney has little education, he did not know latin, he was not charismatic, nothing beautiful on his exterior. And he was one of the most important priest of all time ! 
And Judith ? She was an unimportant widow. And God called her to freed the hebrews ! 
There is many story of ""unimportant"" people being called to amazing vocation and becoming Saint. In fact, if you look well, there's more story of "unimportant" people becoming Saint than of "important" people.

You say "there are not impressing anyone". 
Maybe they are not impressing you, or the parish priest, or the lady who gossip at the end of the mass. But I'm sure God is proud of them. God loves humility. And what matter ? What the man think of us, or what God think of us ? 

God look at us with a look of love. He doesn't see the appearance, he see the hearts. He doesn't think that anyone is "unimportant". God want the salvation of all souls. Read the gospel, and see how much Jesus speak to the "unimportant", and what he say to the pharisee : 

39 Then the Lord said to him, “Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 40 You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? 41 But now as for what is inside you—be generous to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.

Luke 11:39-41

Matthew chapter 23 (here are little parts) 

Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach."

“Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a]wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

“But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father,and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

MarysLittleFlower

> Leader of the SVP

I am talking about the normal but devout and holy people who spend a lot of time praying and reading scripture and are involved in some things, but do not have many talents. Or quiet people.

St Faustina was told in her revelation that "true greatness is in loving God and in humility". A religious vocation has nothing about impressing people... Its a vocational to be hidden with Christ on the Cross. God often chooses the smallest and weakest people to show it is His work. That is greater than being on any committee :) in fact people who are really involved may get distracted from their interior life and become proud and we need to have an interior life and do God's Will first. An interior life is more important to a religious vocation than being involved in anything... It is about loving God, not what we do. :) God bless you

PhuturePriest

St Faustina was told in her revelation that "true greatness is in loving God and in humility". A religious vocation has nothing about impressing people... Its a vocational to be hidden with Christ on the Cross. God often chooses the smallest and weakest people to show it is His work. That is greater than being on any committee :) in fact people who are really involved may get distracted from their interior life and become proud and we need to have an interior life and do God's Will first. An interior life is more important to a religious vocation than being involved in anything... It is about loving God, not what we do. :) God bless you

​Keep in mind that what you say relates only to cloistered religious, not active religious, who make up the majority of religious.

oratefratres

I would respond with a definite "Yes."  There are no unimportant or ordinary people in God's eyes.  And He calls whoever He calls.  Impressing people is not what it is about.  He can use the humble to confound the 'wise' and He does.

Yes but to become a priest or brother you need to have four priest references. A normal person has a parish priest and maybe a spiritual director. The only way one will be known well to many priests is by being ostentarious.

The ordinary and humble hidden people will never be noticed enough to have a vocation or to get loads of references. So they will not get called.

You seem to have finally noticed that people were picking up on the troll questioning when you did it under the username Oremus.

It's no less obvious when you do it under the username oratefratres.

I don't know what the game is supposed to be, but it's getting pretty boring now.

BarbTherese

​Keep in mind that what you say relates only to cloistered religious, not active religious, who make up the majority of religious.

!!!

> Leader of the SVP

:troll:

You seem to have finally noticed that people were picking up on the troll questioning when you did it under the username Oremus.

It's no less obvious when you do it under the username oratefratres.

I don't know what the game is supposed to be, but it's getting pretty boring now.

​why do trolls troll?  iono for kicks & giggles?  at least it gives me a chance to use the oft neglected emote :troll: