An Old School Catholic Message Board

Diocesan Vocation Directors

Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

What services do diocesan vocation directors, especially sisters, perform? I know an experienced diocesan priest will be appointed by their bishop to talk to men interested in entering a diocesan seminary and such, but what about for women? In my diocese we have a sister from a local order (with many different apostolates) who is the vocation director for women.

I'm just wondering like do the VDs for women usually put you in contact with orders they think you might do well in, based on what you tell them? Do they help you find a spiritual director? I'm interested in contacting my local one, I'm just not really sure what to ask or expect. What have your experiences been?

MarysLittleFlower

What services do diocesan vocation directors, especially sisters, perform? I know an experienced diocesan priest will be appointed by their bishop to talk to men interested in entering a diocesan seminary and such, but what about for women? In my diocese we have a sister from a local order (with many different apostolates) who is the vocation director for women.

I'm just wondering like do the VDs for women usually put you in contact with orders they think you might do well in, based on what you tell them? Do they help you find a spiritual director? I'm interested in contacting my local one, I'm just not really sure what to ask or expect. What have your experiences been?

I didn't realize that dioceses might have two separate vocation directors for men and women... My spiritual director was the VD for the diocese I was in and as far as I know he was the only one there. I spoke to him about discernment. 

In the past, my diocese had both a sister and a priest (and, at one time, a brother) in the vocations office, though now there is just a priest. The sister, who was a friend of mine, did the various things that MI3 listed.  She was NOT there just to solicit people for her own community--that was very explicit. Now, we have a Vicar for Religious who is a sister, and I believe that women who contact the Vocations office (priest) are often referred to her.  

In our diocese, we have a "Spiritual Renewal Center," as well as a retreat house, which both have a variety of spiritual directors who also offer retreats. Some are priests, some are sisters, and some are trained laypeople (all, of course, are trained). So they are often the people that the vocations people refer discerners to, but they are also available to anyone seeking direction.

:o)Katherine:o)

Our vocation director for our diocese is a priest. He struggles with talking with women because he says he is not sure what to tell us. Men in our diocese contact him if they are discerning the diocesan priesthood. One of the times that I reached out for help I was referred to a local sister and she looking for women to join her community. It was not a positive experience and I politely ended things with them. Women in our diocese tend to do things on their own and reach out to whomever they can for help. Many of us have connected and shared connections and resources. Our diocese is not like most in the way that they interact with people discerning. I do see a positive change coming soon and am very excited to see what is in store! We are seeing an increase in the young church of our diocese for a desire to follow whatever call God has placed on their hearts whether it is single life, married life, religious life, or holy orders. I have seen that many diocese have vocation days, monthly meetings, and many even have a vocation office with a priest, religious sister, religious brother, deacon and/or layperson. Some even provide free discernment materials. (I only share all of this to share my personal experience. Every diocese is different.)

It would not hurt to contact your local vocation director and meet with her. Be prepared to share where you are at in your vocation journey. If you are drawn to any particular spirituality, type of community (cloistered, contemplative, active) or apostolate. She should be able to steer you in the right direction in regards to vocation support, spiritual directors and information on communities that you might be interested. It would be a good idea to ask if there is a local vocation discernment group. I hope that things go well when you talk with her and possibly even meet with her! :)

oratefratres

My diocesan vocations director meets with men looking to join the priesthood. He interviewed me once. He asked me mainly about the following areas:

> My life story - very detailed questions including my childhood, how things made me feel, my school life, about my family life
> Why I wanted to be a priest and all the other steps of discernment I had taken, which communities I had visited (in detail)
> He also made me write a long statement about myself like 5000 words.
> I think he will organise psychological testing.

Sometimes he meets with young men just to go for a walk for a chat re discernment. He runs the vocations groups in the dioces

TheresaThoma

It doesn't hurt to get in contact. I have never been in a diocese with a Sister as a VD. If you email or call I would let her know that you are discerning and a little bit about your current discernment. Also if you need any support like needing an SD ask if she can help you with that.

LaPetiteSoeur

In my local diocese, the Vocation Director is a religious sister from the order I work with. While she mostly works with seminarians, she also directs any young women interested in religious life. She's a good starting point for them--she directs them to spiritual directors, local communities, retreats, etc. In my former diocese, the Vocation Director was specifically for seminarians and there was literally NO RESOURCES for young women discerning. It was very much on your own, and I think that hurt a lot of young women who had no idea where to start. Sister S is a phenomenal resource. 

Mary+Immaculate<3

Thank you all for your replies and advice! Maybe I'll contact her this summer :)