An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communities open to discerners on medication

LoveZoe11

So I know this question has come up many times on this forum, but does anyone know of women's communities that are open to discerners who take medication for mild depression or other things, without requiring that you go off? I take medication for depression and do very well with it but have not had luck when I've tried to get off in the past. I still feel a possible call to religious life but am not sure of any communities that will not require me to stop.

I would just encourage you to see where you might be interested in and contact them.  See if their charism and such appeal to you and go from there.

TheresaThoma

I would say look into the communities that interest you first. Some communities will not accept someone with medication at all, typically they are upfront about it. However most communities medication is more of a grey area. I think it mostly depends on a number of factors, such as how often do you have to see a doctor how much the medication costs any side effects etc. Personally I am on medication (not for depression) and I have seriously discerned with a couple of communities. I was very upfront with them and had all my facts together regarding my medical history and my medication. My medication is low impact on me and cost wise for the community. 

It shouldn't be the first thing that you mention to a community but should come up early on. In my experience Vocation Directors will ask about your general health. That is the time to bring it up. Be straightforward with the facts,  ie how often you have to take the meds, how often you have to see a doctor, the cost of the meds any side effects or issues etc. Some communities may tell you straight up that they can't accept you. It hurts a bit but I have learned to accept that is God telling me I am not called there. One community I was really not sure if I should discern with them or not and it was a relief to hear that they can't accept people on medication! It allowed me to move on. Don't be discouraged if the Sister you are talking with says that she has to check with other Sisters first to see if they might be able to accept you with medication. In both communities that I discerned with they had to do this and it took a couple of weeks to get an answer. This isn't them trying to get you to go away, things like this take time.

I agree with vee and TT; I would also be very careful of any community that said you had to come off a medication to enter. That's silly at best.

OnlySunshine

I discerned religious life while taking medication for depression as well.  My general experience is that, the more austere a community is, the less likely they will be able to accommodate medical needs.  For instance, I contacted a Franciscan religious community who did not have their own health insurance and they were unable to take on the added expense of caring for a person who needed medical visits as well as continuous medication.  Others, I found, were willing to discuss it.  Ultimately, it is left up to the individual discerner and the community.  Just because they say "no" to one person, it does not mean that another will have the same experience.  If you are really interested in a community, contact them and get to know them.  If they see that you operate well on medication, they will be more likely to consider you.

sr.christinaosf

Or, when you contact them, just be up front right away...ask if they consider candidates with your circumstances, explaining tha​t you do well as long as you're on meds.
Then, you know right away were you stand and you don't waste their time or yours in pursuing it if they won't be open.
When I was looking for a community, I was just up front right away about my situation (I do have a vision impairment, etc.).  

I would hate for you to get your hopes up and be interested in joining, only to find out later that it was not an option.  
God bless you in your searching!  I know it can be hard. 
Sister Christina Marie Neumann, OSF
https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com

Strictlyinkblot

I agree with vee and TT; I would also be very careful of any community that said you had to come off a medication to enter. That's silly at best.

​As a mental health nurse I would have to agree. Not that all people with mental health difficulties need to be on medication for the rest of their lives, of course not but you would never ask someone with diabetes to stop taking insulin, or someone with asthma to stop taking their preventer inhalers. I know that orders have to consider things like whether the candidate would be able for the life and cost of medication etc. But I would think that decisions to come off medication should be the choice of the individual with the advice and under the supervision of their doctor, no matter what the health issue.

So I know this question has come up many times on this forum, but does anyone know of women's communities that are open to discerners who take medication for mild depression or other things, without requiring that you go off? I take medication for depression and do very well with it but have not had luck when I've tried to get off in the past. I still feel a possible call to religious life but am not sure of any communities that will not require me to stop.

​I think the situation varies alot, depending on what the medication and the condition is, but also any complications or side effects. My experience has been that the more established orders will be more willing to consider you if you're on meds or need some sort of medical oversight. I guess this makes sense as they usually have more money, are larger, have experience with discerners and probably have some existing members on such meds etc. They can therefore know more easily if they can deal with the situation or not.

You may also find that contemplative orders will be more willing to accept those on certain meds than some active orders. This can come down to practical issues with doing certain ministry and oversight etc. But persist and don't be too discouraged if you get certain comments or advice that doesn't feel right to you from individual VD's.

I got accepted by an active order even though I have a health issue, so it's possible. But I also have to accept that they'll never want me to do certain tasks or ministry experiments. But some orders don't have that degree of flexibility about what members do for work. So, it can vary alot and it's important to be upfront about medical stuff when you're telling them about yourself early on. Sometimes they seem to have blanket prohibitions, but some may make exceptions depending on the specific person/medical issue.

Many orders also ask that you undergo psychological evaluation and suitability too, so it's also worth knowing this maybe a key factor in the process if you get through the early stages. They may well explore why or what issues are there that keep you on this medication etc. Motivation and autobiographical exploration can be key discussion points with an evaluator, so they may well explore how this ties in with any depressive episode you've had. They will not want the order to make your medical condition worse, the demands and energy needed can be challenging.

I think it also good to get a spiritual director, if you haven't already. Consider one that matches the charism you're interested in as they can be a great help. I had one SD but I had to switch once I become a candidate for entry.

:like2:

Now i am not female, but i do have depression and anxiety and i take medication for both, i can say for fact so far everyone especially T.T hit my experience on the head, i didn't give the farm away right out the gate. Ya don't wana scare them off but ya want to be honest.

I can't add too much more, other than don't let your medical history be a deterrent to a religious life.

:o)Katherine:o)

Be open an honest with vocation directors. Many have covered most of the advice I would share. From personal experience, it is best to ask in the beginning. I do not take medications but I have had health issues in the past. Some communities have said they would still consider me and others have said that I would not be able to handle to rigorous lifestyle or apostolate. Some have said they could not risk the costs. In the end, do not let it discourage you. If you are called to discern with a community you will find the right fit. :)

OnlySunshine

Something I forgot to mention is that, in my personal experience, I found that the communities that were more willing to consider me on medication were the ones who had medical apostolates as they understood the needs and there was less worry about what would happen.  One community, for instance, was the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI.  They have several doctors in their community, including a psychiatrist, and were willing to discuss the possibility of a vocation to their community.  I did not find my vocation there (in fact, I am no longer discerning religious life), but I thought they were very helpful.

Being on medication for various issues is quite common. Being an RN, I'd be surprised that folks would not use even prn pain meds ie tylenol or Ibuprophen ( especially for menstrual cramps) It would be something to speak with the Vocation directress  for each community if there is a larger issue, especially if the medication is expensive.