An Old School Catholic Message Board

is it wrong

superblue

Is it wrong to pray for someone to leave your Church and go to another one ?  

An would it be wrong also to pray for someone you don't like be it at work, school, in the neighborhood, to pray that they find some place else to go.

Not praying they have something bad happen to them, just pray that they move along, go be themselves perhaps become better and do it away from you.

Nihil Obstat

Is it wrong to pray for someone to leave your Church and go to another one ?  

An would it be wrong also to pray for someone you don't like be it at work, school, in the neighborhood, to pray that they find some place else to go.

Not praying they have something bad happen to them, just pray that they move along, go be themselves perhaps become better and do it away from you.

​We had to ban a guy from our parish because he was trying to spread sedevacantism, and actually drew away a couple parishioners over it. Diocese got involved and my understanding is that they issued him with a written trespass.

He can go to other Catholic parishes if he chooses, just not ours.

that , is pretty interesting stuff Nihil, never heard of anything like that,,,  but i mean in general, it really isn't " wrong " to pray or hope someone just moves on an goes some where else because he or she is a nuisance or just mean or what ever.  ?

PhuturePriest

If that person is Dolores Umbridge, then such action is justifiable. 

If not, then you must have proof of seven acts of heretical statements from them that would hold up in the court of law. 

It's difficult, but 'tis the law of the Church, it is.

PhuturePriest

​We had to ban a guy from our parish because he was trying to spread sedevacantism, and actually drew away a couple parishioners over it. Diocese got involved and my understanding is that they issued him with a written trespass.

He can go to other Catholic parishes if he chooses, just not ours.

​I can't imagine any priest I know banning someone from a parish. Not that it isn't good action to take, mind you, but I just can't imagine any of the priests I know telling someone he can't go to Mass at their parish anymore, regardless of the reason. 

A difference between diocesan priests and Fraternity priests, I suppose.

veritasluxmea

There was this one guy in our diocese who was harassing masses and hanging out around church parking lots and being a threat or something, so the diocese got a restraining order from all church property. He went to jail for like a year or something too. So it happens. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

PhuturePriest

There was this one guy in our diocese who was harassing masses and hanging out around church parking lots and being a threat or something, so the diocese got a restraining order from all church property. He went to jail for like a year or something too. So it happens. 

​Yeah, but that's different than banning a guy from your parish because of doctrinal reasons. I've known several dissident Catholics who run openly and freely in their parishes, spreading their dissidence to other Catholics in the parish with nary a warning or even an acknowledgement by the parish priests that it is even happening. 

Edited by PhuturePriest

veritasluxmea

^Well then, only consider my answer to deal with someone who is being a physical threat. 

Nihil Obstat

​I can't imagine any priest I know banning someone from a parish. Not that it isn't good action to take, mind you, but I just can't imagine any of the priests I know telling someone he can't go to Mass at their parish anymore, regardless of the reason. 

A difference between diocesan priests and Fraternity priests, I suppose.

I think it was the diocesan priest who took charge of that actually.

PhuturePriest

11227051_10152999269858301_8915966092818

41217666.jpg

I think it was the diocesan priest who took charge of that actually.

​Ah, then that is quite pleasing to hear. I suppose I'm too used to my previous anything-goes-as-long-as-everyone's-happy diocese.

• 2 weeks later...
MarysLittleFlower

that , is pretty interesting stuff Nihil, never heard of anything like that,,,  but i mean in general, it really isn't " wrong " to pray or hope someone just moves on an goes some where else because he or she is a nuisance or just mean or what ever.  ?

hmm... I think I read a quote from somewhere... maybe a Saint.. it was definitely a very valid Catholic source... (sorry I forgot) that it's charitable to not only forgive people who are a "nuisance", but to wish to see them again, to treat them kindly, etc. Maybe St Josemaria Escriva said this.

That's only if they're annoying or something. If a person is actually leading others astray, or is a danger to someone, then it's a matter of protecting others. But we still need to treat them with charity, even in correction.

hmm... I think I read a quote from somewhere... maybe a Saint.. it was definitely a very valid Catholic source... (sorry I forgot) that it's charitable to not only forgive people who are a "nuisance", but to wish to see them again, to treat them kindly, etc. Maybe St Josemaria Escriva said this.

That's only if they're annoying or something. If a person is actually leading others astray, or is a danger to someone, then it's a matter of protecting others. But we still need to treat them with charity, even in correction.

No, St. Therese of the Child Jesus said this.  And acted upon it.

That's a different matter.  He was breaking the law.