An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal

LoveZoe11

Has anyone on this forum discerned with them? If so, what was your experience? I am in contact with their vocation director and might be going on a retreat with them in the future :smile2:

There is some older articles about them but I think the people that started those threads aren't active on the phorum anymore.

He is Risen!

I used to be a postulant and novice with the CFRs, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

I used to be a postulant and novice with the CFRs, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Hi He is Risen! I tried to PM you but it would work for some reason. 

Hi He is Risen!

thanks for responding to my post. What was your experience with the CFR? They seem pretty austere and I know they live off donations, but they seem to be very joyful as well. Is there anything you think a discerner should know before discerning with them?

thanks

He is Risen!

I think that the physical austerity is pretty relative to whatever you are used to already.  Some people had a harder time with it than others and in the end you just kind of get used to it.  Poverty is definitely a big part of the life but I think the biggest poverty for me was to give up my will/ego and joyfully wake up early EVERY day (7am is NOT sleeping in to me, lol) and joyfully stick to the schedule/ obey my superior etc.  The physical stuff (choice of food, no mattress,etc) is on a case by case basis and if needed can be adjusted within reason.  If you have a specific need there is often a benefactor that can help with it or you can ask your family to send it. For example I wanted a certain size underclothes that wasn't already in our pantry and so a benefactor provided it and on my birthday my superior asked me what kind of dessert I wanted, I requested ice cream and a sister was able to beg for some for us.  So yes, it is austere in some ways, but God truly does provide everything you need so it's not really stressful, it's just about trusting Him to care for you (and He does!) and I think that's what makes them joyful. For me obedience was a much greater poverty than material poverty.