An Old School Catholic Message Board

God's love

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I kind of realized today that everything that comes with discernment of consecrated life - renouncing marriage, and other good things, wanting for your life to be all and exclusively about God, - and the strength to endure hardships for this - seems to come from the realisation of God's love... There must be such powerful grace to make a person see, - especially a person with a free will - that He might want them to give up everything else because His love is so strong, and is enough. Its hard to think of another reason why a person would give up even good natural things that most have and do this joyfully. I read about some Sisters saying its like falling in love and I think that's true, but of course much more powerfully! Its a mystery why some are chosen when others might be more worthy... (We are all unworthy but it seems God likes to call the little weak ones!). Its so beautiful :) does anyone have thoughts to add? 

I don't see my vocation in terms of renunciation and hardship, because waking up next to someone every day, not having enough time to be alone, dealing with toddlers wailing in the night, and having to make non-poisonous food for someone other than myself all seem a darn sight harder that being celibate. ;) I'm not cut out for that.

When I realised my vocation I felt like a fish in water. I was in my own element. There are challenges (as there are for everyone, no matter what their vocation) but my overall feeling is not "I am giving up a lot for the love of God" but "I am where he wants me to be and I have what he wants me to have". The Bible verse that best captures my attitude to renunciation is "Make justice your sacrifice and trust in the Lord", which suggests to me that if only I concentrate on doing the right thing, I don't have to worry about what I'm missing out on. Everyone misses out on something. We turn our backs on other choices every time we make a choice. Going through one door means leaving a hundred other doors unopened. I don't find it helpful to imagine what might lie behind them.

As St Paul writes, "the love of Christ impels us" - but that love is the fuel and the power of everyone trying to lead a Christian life, not just people entering religious life. I also don't see myself as weak in a way that married couples aren't, as everyone has their frailties and their crosses to bear, and many of them are perhaps struggling in secret with greater burdens than I can know. So I try very hard not to compare myself to others, no matter whether it's my weakness or my worth that I'm comparing. I think this fits with the old monastic tradition of keeping 'custody of the eyes' - not looking into what doesn't concern me. There is also risk of falling into pride if you wonder too much about why you have been called to this and not that, because no matter how self-effacing the answers you think up, the essential question you're asking is, "For me to be called to this life, there must be something different about me - what is it? Am I weaker than others?" It is a desire to know what makes you 'special'. For me, it is enough to know that I am special because God only made the one of me, and wherever he sends me is the right place for me. That settles all questions about worthiness too, because if he led me to this place, it must be right - why waste time thinking how unworthy I am to be in the vineyard when I could be labouring in the vineyard?

MarysLittleFlower

I don't see my vocation in terms of renunciation and hardship, because waking up next to someone every day, not having enough time to be alone, dealing with toddlers wailing in the night, and having to make non-poisonous food for someone other than myself all seem a darn sight harder that being celibate. ;) I'm not cut out for that.

When I realised my vocation I felt like a fish in water. I was in my own element. There are challenges (as there are for everyone, no matter what their vocation) but my overall feeling is not "I am giving up a lot for the love of God" but "I am where he wants me to be and I have what he wants me to have". The Bible verse that best captures my attitude to renunciation is "Make justice your sacrifice and trust in the Lord", which suggests to me that if only I concentrate on doing the right thing, I don't have to worry about what I'm missing out on. Everyone misses out on something. We turn our backs on other choices every time we make a choice. Going through one door means leaving a hundred other doors unopened. I don't find it helpful to imagine what might lie behind them.

As St Paul writes, "the love of Christ impels us" - but that love is the fuel and the power of everyone trying to lead a Christian life, not just people entering religious life. I also don't see myself as weak in a way that married couples aren't, as everyone has their frailties and their crosses to bear, and many of them are perhaps struggling in secret with greater burdens than I can know. So I try very hard not to compare myself to others, no matter whether it's my weakness or my worth that I'm comparing. I think this fits with the old monastic tradition of keeping 'custody of the eyes' - not looking into what doesn't concern me. There is also risk of falling into pride if you wonder too much about why you have been called to this and not that, because no matter how self-effacing the answers you think up, the essential question you're asking is, "For me to be called to this life, there must be something different about me - what is it? Am I weaker than others?" It is a desire to know what makes you 'special'. For me, it is enough to know that I am special because God only made the one of me, and wherever he sends me is the right place for me. That settles all questions about worthiness too, because if he led me to this place, it must be right - why waste time thinking how unworthy I am to be in the vineyard when I could be labouring in the vineyard?

Beatitude, thanks for the reply :) I think perhaps I didn't word it clearly because what I meant to say is that there is a lot of joy in giving up things for God when we realize more of His love. He becomes enough and the hardships become less. Maybe some feel the sacrifice part of it more than others. I'm still going through the process of learning this though because I go alternatively through being happy about this or fearful. Its just feelings though. Regarding renunciation... For me personally the deeper I get to know Christ the less desire there is for any earthly spouse, and at this point i dont want one.. but there is still a natural desire for children, but it doesn't alter my decision. However the more difficult sacrifice for me is about my family... My family really want me to marry and they are not Catholic, also I grew up an only child. This has been my main 'trial'. I think the only way I've been able to deal with this is seeing Jesus as my greatest love and trusting Him about my family. That is sort of what I meant :). I see what you mean about looking for reasons why one is called... If I'm called, I don't know why. I read somewhere that God often calls the weaker souls who don't have much to boast of in themselves and that helped me to fight certain temptations... Because it doesn't mean I'm special, but that I only have misery and nothingness, and God provides everything. So I can rely only on Him. But I see what you mean how we don't need to know the reason - of course I don't know how God chooses and its His own choice based on His Will :) this is all assuming I could be called... I'm always afraid if its only my will.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower