An Old School Catholic Message Board

So can two straight best friends get married now?

dUSt

There are plenty of heterosexual couples who marry with no romantic feelings or intentions. I don't see why two men of the same sex who aren't gay can't get married.

Also many examples of gay individuals participating in traditional marriage.

Edited by zabbazooey

Nihil Obstat

Legally, I guess now they can. Morally? Of course not.

Of course, morally speaking two gay best friends of the same sex cannot get married either.

Simulation of a sacrament merits automatic excommunication, so obviously no.

I'm not talking about anything like a sacrament. I'm talking about two best friends living together through college decide to go down to the courthouse and get a license made up to take advantage of tax benefits for fours years.

Nihil Obstat

I'm not talking about anything like a sacrament. I'm talking about two best friends living together through college decide to go down to the courthouse and get a license made up to take advantage of tax benefits for fours years.

That would be a rather vile and scandalous lie then, would it not?

That would be a rather vile and scandalous lie then, would it not?

What lie? There would be no lying involved. Two straight men get married for legal benefits. The court just made this perfectly acceptable, did it not?

I'm not talking morally. I'm saying legally.

Edited by dUSt

Nihil Obstat

What lie? There would be no lying involved. Two straight men get married for legal benefits. The court just made this perfectly acceptable, did it not?

The lie is that they are married. Of course they are not. Marriage is impossible between them. If it were called "a partnership for the purpose of tax benefits" then sure, but they are calling it marriage, which is a lie and a scandal.

truthfinder

Well, maybe legally.  It would be no different than marrying someone for citizenship - and thus the gov't wants details to prove the authenticty of the marriage.  I'm sure, if somehow, they got wind that a 'marriage' was solely for tax benefits they could try for marriage fraud.  

It's just an absolute muddle. 

Nihil Obstat

If I have a male roommate for too long, do we become common law husbands?

:|

:coffee:

Depends how tasteful and trendy your home decor is.

truthfinder

If I have a male roommate for too long, do we become common law husbands?

:|

:coffee:

The understanding of common law assumes a conjugal relationship (but this did happen in Canada when census takers started to record same-sex common law marriages when they were just roommates).