An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning Religious Life

RaeandGhost

RaeandGhost

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking in Vocation station for a while and decided to join. I've felt a call to be a priest since I was about 17 and I'm 24 now. this past year I've been attending a parish that has a very beautiful, reverent mass and I've realized the importance of beauty in the liturgy. I want to find an order that emphasizes the liturgy and ideally one that uses both forms of the mass. I'm hoping to visit the California Norbertines soon because I've heard good things about them.

Do you guys know any other good communities or orders that focus on the liturgy? I like the idea of an order that mixes monastic and priestly life like the Norbertines.

A very similar order is the Cistercians in Dallas - http://www.cistercian.org/abbey/index.html

A number of Benedictine monasteries seem very similar, depending on what their primary ministry is. Some sponsor a seminary, some a middle-high school, some a high school-college. They're spread all over the country, so depending on where you live, you might find something close to where you live now. These would include:

St. Anselm in New Hampshire, Mary Mother of the Church in Virginia, St. Anselm in Washington DC, Mary Help of Christians in North Carolina, St. Meinrad in Indiana, St. John in Minnesota, St. Louis in Missouri, Conception in Missouri, St. Benedict in Kansas, St. Joseph in Louisiana, Subiaco in Arkansas, St. Gregory in Oklahoma, St. Martin in Washington state, Mount Angel in Oregon - and there are lots of others. Benedictines take the liturgy very seriously, but the style will probably vary from one monastery to another.

MarysLittleFlower

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking in Vocation station for a while and decided to join. I've felt a call to be a priest since I was about 17 and I'm 24 now. this past year I've been attending a parish that has a very beautiful, reverent mass and I've realized the importance of beauty in the liturgy. I want to find an order that emphasizes the liturgy and ideally one that uses both forms of the mass. I'm hoping to visit the California Norbertines soon because I've heard good things about them.

Do you guys know any other good communities or orders that focus on the liturgy? I like the idea of an order that mixes monastic and priestly life like the Norbertines.

i know they don't mix the two forms of the Mass but I attend an FSSP parish and the priests are so well formed and holy men. There's nothing negative I can say so usually I recommend FSSP :) there's also the Oratory in Toronto that offers the two forms of the Mass and has very solid reverent priests! I think they have seminarians? Its the oratory of St Philip Neri. They are diocesan (i think??) so I'm not sure how one would join. 

puellapaschalis

I'd recommend the FSSP and the Toronto Oratorians too, as well as Clear Creek Abbey (which has the traditional Mass, and I don't think they mix, but in case you were wondering).

NadaTeTurbe

Also, while they don't have the Traditional Latin Mass, the Opus Dei have very good priest :) 

NadaTeTurbe

But I think the first thing you have to do, is to discern if you are called to a contemplative life, or a active/contemplative life. Then, you should also search wich spirituality you like : if you like St Francis, maybe check the franciscans order, if you life St Josemaria Escriva, the door of the Opus are open, etc... 

Hi Guys,

Where (in general)  do you live?  Where are you in your education, and what are you interested in?  A lot of the Benedictines teach.

Edited by Yaatee
comma

RaeandGhost

Wow thanks for the replies guys. Thats funny you guys mentioned the Oratorians because thats the parish I've been going to for the past year and a bit. Its there that I got hooked on the old mass and their vespers are amazing. 

I've heard good things about the FSSP too and I want to make a trip up to Ottawa to get to one of their masses sometime.

I just watched a video about Clear Creek and it looks amesome. I guess its just hard for me to know if I'm called to comtemplative life or not. Has anyone on here been to visit the Norbertines before? Because I've watched their vocations video but I havent been over there yet.

RaeandGhost

I just graduated from University with a bachelors degree in Science and I live in Ontario. I'm interested in learning foreign languages, I've studied Spanish, Italian and Portuguese and I'm trying to learn French now. 

puellapaschalis

The best way to figure out the active/mixed/contemplative thing is to go and visit. 

NadaTeTurbe

Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and French ? Wow, perfection ! I speak French and a regional language, study english, spanish, and hebrew, and I really want to speak Italian and Portuguese too ! 

have you a spiritual director ? 

Credo in Deum

Hi Guys,

The Canons Regular of St. John Cantius observe and celebrate both forms and their mission is to the restoration of the Sacred. 

http://www.canons-regular.org

Edited by Credo in Deum

RaeandGhost

Yes you're right I cant really figure anything out until i take the plunge and actually visit a community. 

Yes I meet with a spiritual director about once a month, he's amesome, gives great advice.

I've looked at St John Cantius and they look amesome, it's really cool that they put on workshops for how to say the old mass, and their look like they pull out all the stops on their feastday masses.

The Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem celebrate the Traditional Latin Mass exclusively, but they do it in the spirit of VII. You have to visit to understand what that means! They're in Charles Town, WV, and there's already one Canadian with them, Frater John. They're very focused on aesthetics and restoring the beauty of the Mass. They learned from the English Benedictine Canons in St. Louis, MO, whom I also suggest you check out. The CRNJ has videos on You Tube, and people who attend their liturgies are so enamored of them that they've written articles about them, which you can find online.