An Old School Catholic Message Board

Headcovering in Catholicism

ThereseMaria

Archaeology cat

I've sometimes toyed with the idea of wearing one all the time, but it hurts my head sometimes, so I don't. When my hair was longer I would put it in a bun and wrap a scarf around, and I'd get looks/questions because some assumed I was Muslim, even though it didn't look like a hijab at all. More like a tichel. I know some assume you must be "holier-than-thou" when veiling, but if that isn't your intent (and honestly, I don't think many who cover their heads, either at Mass or all the time, do so to be noticed), then it isn't a problem. It doesn't matter so much what other people think of you, just that your reasons are right. Even the Muslim women I know don't do it to be noticed. Not that I know all of them or anything, but there were a few in my home ed group in Liverpool, some who wore the hijab and one who wore a niqab.

I've sometimes toyed with the idea of wearing one all the time, but it hurts my head sometimes, so I don't.

You're a girl?

Archaeology cat

You're a girl?

What, all my pregnancy announcements over the years didn't give that away? ;) 

I always wear the mantilla when I go to the Latin Mass and finally I figured I couldn't justify wearing it there and not to the Novus Ordo (which I attend much more frequently).  Jesus is present at both forms of the mass so I personally feel I need to wear it at both.  I've only been veiling at the N.O. mass for about a month now so it's still pretty new to me.  I'm a bit self conscious because I'm literally the only one wearing it but I still love to do it.  Here is a video that I found recently about it so this thread is as good a place as any to share it.

I used to be one of the only women who wore a mantilla at my parish. There was one other older woman but in the past few years, quite a few more ladies have started wearing them. It has been really nice to see some more younger women wearing them, as I see it as a sign of reverence for Jesus in the Eucharist.

To me, it shows a thirst for Him, to please Him. Maybe this will happen at the N.O. Mass you attend too Kateri; the Holy Spirit likes to inspire good things and deeds that are offered completely as an act of love for God.

Edited by Charbel
fixed a few words

:o)Katherine:o)

I have been veiling for almost a year. When I first felt the desire to veil I was not even aware that people still veiled. I researched it and eventually ordered one. I was hesitant at first because I did not want people to think that I was "holier than thou" or that I was trying to draw attention to myself. The desire to veil intensified. I spoke with my parish priest and he was very encouraging. I began to see other women in our Diocese veiling and even in my parish.

Why do I veil? I veil as a reminder that I am a Bride of Christ (The Church is the Bride). Since I began veiling I have become more aware of my posture, my dress, and my actions during Mass and anytime in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. Each time I veil I try to remember that I am a living/walking tabernacle. I now wish that I had begun to veil years ago.

I am just a little one who is following the stirrings inside my heart and those stirrings led me to veil. Everyone is different and each has their own desires and devotions. I hope that this helps! :)

julianneoflongbeach

There doesn't seem to be a real, theological, reason to wear a veil in mass, traditionally speaking. One and two thousand years ago the primary reason seems to have been, "because that's what women before us did". And before that the reasons were Jewish, which is said no longer applies to us...

The reasons y'all give for veiling now are nice and all, but they also seem to be very after the fact. Not just traditionally but personally. Like,"I just felt like it, and then there were all these reasons" which really makes them side effects or bonuses, not actual reasons for doing it...:idontknow: Just tryin to understand here.

julianneoflongbeach

Julianne, I hope that this site might answer some of your questions: http://www.veilsbylily.com/faq/

Thanks, but no. She just confirmed my original thought. These (perfectly lovely) ideas were developed after veils were already worn for a considerable amount of time...Not my cup of tea.

NadaTeTurbe

There doesn't seem to be a real, theological, reason to wear a veil in mass, traditionally speaking. One and two thousand years ago the primary reason seems to have been, "because that's what women before us did". And before that the reasons were Jewish, which is said no longer applies to us...

The reasons y'all give for veiling now are nice and all, but they also seem to be very after the fact. Not just traditionally but personally. Like,"I just felt like it, and then there were all these reasons" which really makes them side effects or bonuses, not actual reasons for doing it...:idontknow: Just tryin to understand here.

One and two thousand years ago, people did not need reason to wear headcovering. It was obvious, it was a part of dress like another. If today, you ask a women why she wears panties, she will answer "It's obvious. I shall not show my genitals to the world.". 2000 years ago (but more in the middle age), if you asked a women why wears headcovering, she would have answered "It's obvious. I shall not show my heairs to the world." she would have had "I'm not s**t", because prostitutes "allaient en cheveux", showed their hairs. Saint Paul speak about it in the Bible. I can only give you the passage, but not the context or any explanation, I don't know very well the Bible ^^" 
Here are also some explanation in headcovering in Biblical times : 
http://www.bible-researcher.com/headcoverings3.html 

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoreth his head.

But every woman praying or prophesying with her head unveiled dishonoreth her head; for it is one and the same thing as if she were shaven.

For if a woman is not veiled, let her also be shorn: but if it is a shame to a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be veiled.

For a man indeed ought not to have his head veiled, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man:

for neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man:

10 for this cause ought the woman to have a sign of authority on her head, because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless, neither is the woman without the man, nor the man without the woman, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, so is the man also by the woman; but all things are of God.

13 Judge ye in yourselves: is it seemly that a woman pray unto God unveiled?

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a dishonor to him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

16 But if any man seemeth to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

1 conrinthians 11:3-16

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

All scripture is useful but i dont think all scripture is without a doubt the only way to go. On the passage about covering up. Just an example of where st paul has perhaps been misled or it was a cordial if you want to your most welcome to,  actually sorry i forgot the example that i realized today where saint paul actually seems to contradict what the LORD says in the gospels, but anyhow unsure if the Magesterium says that holy scripture is infallible anyway, though of course a great source of discovering Gods will after careful examination and contemplation and relation to life as it is. I could be totally wrong, or close but no banana.

P.s. huh theres another word in the american dictionary that is not present and that is Magesterium and Magisterial is spelt with a little m.And spelt isnt in the american dictionary either, coz like thats blaspheming the word spell, no? J/k on the spelt thing but perhaps, maybe, i dont know.

MarysLittleFlower

I wear a veil (or scarf) at Mass. :) I started not really understanding the reasons. I thought i would share the story in case it could encourage someone reading this.

One day I asked St Padre Pio (a Saint very dear to me), to help me understand the holiness of the Mass. That Mass, I suddenly felt some sort of holiness and remembered how we are surrounded by Angels, and all I wanted to do was cover my head - I don't know why. Its almost like I wanted to cover myself in more humility before God. It wasn't a shameful fearful thing. There was something worshipful in it - like an act of worship. I had nothing with me and I ended up asking my Angel to somehow cover my head! Haha.

This continued at every Mass. I was scared of peoples views, apperaring "holier than thou" etc. Eventually I wore a little headband. But I began to really veil at a Latin Mass parish because so many women veiled there. Now I veil there still, and if I'm visiting another parish I still veil. Sometimes its not very comfortable because I also wear only long skirts so I feel like I really stand out. But to me its just obedience to what I felt is God's Will.

I don't fully understand the reasons, why the Bible mentions angels in that passage, etc. To me its about reverence and it helps me to pray and be more recollected. It has encouraged me to be more modest. You feel hidden in a veil, like Our Lady, like you belong only to God. Its ok if all the reasons are not clear to me. I just went with what I felt interiorly and its supported by tradition. I also like that my white veil reminds me of a wedding veil so its like we are meeting our Bridegroom in the Mass.

As for veiling full time, I read from an early Church Father that this is a good custom and if a society doesn't have it, women are somehow dispensed but the society is to blame. If I remember correctly. Of course if a woman feels drawn to this i think it would be good to follow that. Today there are many problems in fashions but we can also get away with more, good not bad things... Like this i mean.

I sometimes think I would like to always veil but I don't know how. There's the same fear and also not wanting to look Muslim. The Muslims actually probably got veiling from Christian women.... Because they used to veil all the time. I'm considering wearing hats more often or even wide headbands. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower