An Old School Catholic Message Board

Secular Institutes

AgnesHolyInnocents

AgnesHolyInnocents

I was wondering if anyone might want to share something about their vocation in a secular institute? 

I am wondering about practical things but I would love it if you would wish to share your happy, joyful, and memorable experiences too. 

Some things on my mind are do you have to travel far for meetings, and how often? In looking at institutes, some say that one will help to financially support the order. How is this done? Is it free will donation or more formal? I'm interested in married couples too. Do you live chastely according to your state in life or are you also called to live a life of celibacy? I am wondering about this because married people would certainly have children while living out this vocation unless they remained married but celibate. Was there an initial ceremony when you started formation? Have you made your final vows? Where are these done and who attended? Did you tell your family? Friends? Which of you are living a more contemplative life or prayer and what orders are more contemplative? Do you keep your own SD or do you get a new one through your institute? Do you have any thoughts, suggestions for someone who is already living a life vowed to God and a daily rule, and wishes to enter into this type of consecrated life?

Thank you in advance:)

As far as the understanding of chastity goes, most secular institutes are for single people.

The Holy Family Institute (part of the Pauline family along with the Daughters of St Paul and several other institutes) is specifically for married or widowed people and they are chaste according to their state in life.  (A widowed member is free to remarry.)  Many of the HFI couples I've met have many many children!

I suppose it's possible that a couple in the Holy Family Institute may at some point determine that at this point they are called to a Josephite marriage but that would be a separate thing and is not the norm.