An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns haircut

LukeDominican

A good way to gauge whether or not a community cuts their hair is looking at how the veil fits.  If no hair is visible, there's a good chance it is completely cut.  This isn't an absolute rule, but you'll notice that the Servants of the Lord and the Missionaries of Charity do not reveal any hair under their veil - this is because it is completely cut off at investiture.  The Religious Sisters of Alma, for example, have their hair cut in a bob because they allow so much of it to be revealed.  

@LukeDominican: Welcome to Phatmass!

As you can see, the answer to your question is that whether a community cuts hair depends on the community, and whether it's normal for a woman to be upset about this is "yes," but it depends on the woman.

I have long, extremely fine, annoyingly straight, but hugely thick hair that will not hold a curl or shape no matter what you do to it. The sheer weight of it makes it impossible to manage. People say it's gorgeous, but if I were getting invested, I'd tell them to shave it down to the scalp, and I'd keep it that way!

AccountDeleted

@LukeDominican: Welcome to Phatmass!

As you can see, the answer to your question is that whether a community cuts hair depends on the community, and whether it's normal for a woman to be upset about this is "yes," but it depends on the woman.

I have long, extremely fine, annoyingly straight, but hugely thick hair that will not hold a curl or shape no matter what you do to it. The sheer weight of it makes it impossible to manage. People say it's gorgeous, but if I were getting invested, I'd tell them to shave it down to the scalp, and I'd keep it that way!

Shaving is only a good idea if you are NOT wearing a veil.  Sound silly? Of course, but I tried shaving my head one time when I was a Carmelite and as it grew back in, it rubbed against the toque (headpiece) and veil and was so itchy for weeks that I thought I would die. It would hardly look right to be scratching one's head all the time in choir! :) Talk about mortification! After that lesson, I learned to keep it short, but not shaved!

dominicansoul

I had my hair shaved off.  It was liberating and I loved the feel of my bald head on my pillow, it was very cool and comfortable at night, didn't ever have head sweat again.  I loved the symbolism and the practicality of it all.  My veil would pop off if I kept all that thick hair under it.  There was no possible way it would remain...

Few months later, the novices who had been there to shave my head told the Vicaress General that I had actually asked for a small tonsure in honor of St. Dominic, which the sister shaving my hair did for me.  She laughed her head off, but Mother General was not amused...

I do still love St. Dominic very much and am reminded of my small sacrifice when ever I try to brush my hair now---that area of the tonsure sure grew out all weird... 

:/

BarbTherese

The 1st time I had to cut my hair when I became a novice I cried myself to sleep! :o But long hair under the veil is rather impractical although I do know that with the older veil it was easier to have long hair. Now I'm grateful I can throw my veil on and not worry about it!

Bottom line is that it is for Jesus and he's worth it!

Oh to be able to chuck something on my head and not be concerned about my self-willed hair.  :)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Shaving is only a good idea if you are NOT wearing a veil.  Sound silly? Of course, but I tried shaving my head one time when I was a Carmelite and as it grew back in, it rubbed against the toque (headpiece) and veil and was so itchy for weeks that I thought I would die. It would hardly look right to be scratching one's head all the time in choir! :) Talk about mortification! After that lesson, I learned to keep it short, but not shaved!

True!!!

I actually did shave it down to the skin once (using a bic razor—ouch!) and a much bigger problem than itching was that it was winter and so taking my knitted cap on and off was like applying velcro every time! LOL.

(That, and I discovered I have a REALLY ugly scalp.)

Certainly the vast majority of sisters in the US do not have hair rituals anymore (but the majority do not wear veils, either). The proportions may be different for habited contemplatives (not all contemplatives wear habits and veils, either, but more of them do).  The reason most sisters have short hair is ease of upkeep, from what I can determine from my friends. I do have a novice friend who had very long hair--until Friday, when she decided to get it cut. But it was personal choice, over a year into her (unhabited/unveiled) novitiate. No one asked her to, or even urged her to.

AveMariaPurissima

I didn't get far enough in formation to receive the habit, but in my former community, the Sisters kept their hair extremely short -- possibly even shaved, I'm not 100% sure.  They wore a close-fitting cloth cap (I don't know what it's called in English, but I believe the Spanish word for it was cofia) and the veil over that.  No hair or ears showing.

Oh to be able to chuck something on my head and not be concerned about my self-willed hair.  :)

Lol yes!!!! Sometimes it seems like my mind has a mind of it's own. It's so thin and fine. My mom kinda jinxed me with one of those "3 different types of hair in 1" things. Not really but it sure feels like it. I always have to work at making it look nice. It would be amesome to not have to worry about my hair for a change.

And yes, it does depend on the community. At my old church, there was a sister who told me that her community didn't have their hair cut when they took the veil due to the fact that they had so many sisters who had out of control hair. If they didn't braid their hair back, it would be so staticy that it would be poking out from the head piece. Even at the end of a long day, the sister would have a halo of hair. Lol!

It is actually very bad for the hair to be constantly under a veil, scarf, turban, or hijab.  Much better to be kept short.  For years, working in Labor and Delivery where I had to keep my hair covered [like in the Operating Room; this was the rule in the 70s, now pretty much abandoned], I struggled with not only trying to keep my very long hair clean, but to keep it from falling out!  The roots, it seems, get "smothered" from the weight of fabric and can't "breathe".

AccountDeleted

I actually did shave it down to the skin once (using a bic razor—ouch!) and a much bigger problem than itching was that it was winter and so taking my knitted cap on and off was like applying velcro every time! LOL.

(That, and I discovered I have a REALLY ugly scalp.)

I have a very misshapen head at the back, very flat. I would not like to be bald all of the time. 

It is actually very bad for the hair to be constantly under a veil, scarf, turban, or hijab.  Much better to be kept short.  For years, working in Labor and Delivery where I had to keep my hair covered [like in the Operating Room; this was the rule in the 70s, now pretty much abandoned], I struggled with not only trying to keep my very long hair clean, but to keep it from falling out!  The roots, it seems, get "smothered" from the weight of fabric and can't "breathe".

Yes, nuns have told me that their hair thins out and rubs in patches over long periods of time. I suppose it depends on the individual but wearing something all of the time doesn't let the head breathe at all.

The other problem that I found with a veil is that some of them look good on me and some look terrible - it depends on the style of the headpiece and the veil itself. Vanity is not an issue of course (snicker) especially when one doesn't have a lot of mirrors around, but I have seen photographs of me with certain veils and it looks worse than my thinning hair!! :) 

@ People who commented that they would love to not bother with their hair and just cover it - why don't you? Just curious.