An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would this be acceptable?

cartermia

So I'm about to start my consecration to Mary (St. Louis de Montfort) and I was wondering if it would be acceptable for me to not wear the chains around my wrist during volleyball games and practices. Would it be? 

HopefulHeart

Yes, I believe it is acceptable. I'm sure Jesus and Mary understand your reasons for not wearing the chains during sports. :)

Perhaps you can find another symbolic item to wear during volleyball, like a small Marian pin.

Yeah I was thinking about trying to wear a chain anklet during games hidden underneath my socks. We literally aren't allowed to wear any jewelry during a game. 

cartermia,

Making and living the consecration is such a beautiful gift and a tremendous aid on the road to holiness!  I am so glad to hear you are making it and desire to follow the associated practice of wearing a chain as a sign of your consecration.  I love the consecration so much!  

It is perfectly acceptable to not wear the chain during sports or even at other times.  The chain isn't a required part.  The consecration takes place in your heart and is lived out in your life through prayer, through charity, and fidelity to the will of God!   For that, the chain (while very beautiful and deeply meaningful) is not what is most important, but having the intention of living out your consecration deeply, loving God in all things, and placing yourself under Her maternal care!   With or without the chains during volleyball, you can do that!   :)

However, I would also agree with the other posters that if you could find some way to wear a sign of your consecration that would be beautiful too!  Maybe wearing the brown scapular underneath your volleyball uniform?  The scapular is a beautiful sign of belonging to God and living under the protective mantle and care of Our Lady!

Since I wasn't big on chains, I got a ring.  

xpr31g.jpg

thats pretty amesome!   Did you get that engraved or is there someone that makes those?

Credo in Deum

thats pretty amesome!   Did you get that engraved or is there someone that makes those?

I had the jeweler engrave it.  Very subtle, but a nice reminder of my consecration.  

I had the jeweler engrave it.  Very subtle, but a nice reminder of my consecration.  

I love it.  Very, very nice.  I am a fan of the subtlety.  Haha

Credo I love your ring! I personal would not wear it because I despise the feel of rings when I play the piano but it is beautiful! 

Corban, I tried wearing the brown scapular last year during volleyball but I was not allowed (you could see the strings underneath my jersey) and I had to take it off. I'll come up with something...