An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Low-Wage Restaurant Workers Be Paid More?

Gabriela

I.E.: 

• Walmart receives an estimated $6.2 billion annually in mostly federal taxpayer subsidies. The reason: Walmart pays its employees so little that many of them rely on food stamps, health care and other taxpayer-funded programs. 

• Walmart avoids an estimated $1 billion in federal taxes each year. The reason: Walmart uses tax breaks and loopholes, including a strategy known as accelerated depreciation that allows it to write off capital investments considerably faster than the assets actually wear out.

Well shucks and darn. The military would have had a billion more dollars' worth of bombs to blow up foreigners with. Curse you, Wal-Mart!

How about you look up Wal-Mart's profit margin.

big corporations, like wallyworld  should be charged (in full) for the public assistance given to their low waged  employees   that's all

Well shucks and darn. The military would have had a billion more dollars' worth of bombs to blow up foreigners with. Curse you, Wal-Mart!

How about you look up Wal-Mart's profit margin.

don't know fursure but pretty sure it is at the top of the list

Edited by little2add

big corporations, like wallyworld  should be charged (in full) for the public assistance given to their low waged  employees   that's all

don't know fursure but pretty sure it is at the top of the list

It takes five dollars of taxes to get one dollar of "aid". So are you wanting to fuel the bureaucracy, or just send that one dollar along?

If Wal-Mart increases wages, then there will be an attendant increase in payroll taxes. I think you should look into the tax system. Maybe learn basic economics. Than form an opinion.

It takes five dollars of taxes to get one dollar of "aid". So are you wanting to fuel the bureaucracy, or just send that one dollar along?

If Wal-Mart increases wages, then there will be an attendant increase in payroll taxes. I think you should look into the tax system. Maybe learn basic economics. Than form an opinion

keep-calm-and-bah-humbug.jpg_zpsqjgqtntp

My wife runs a tutoring company. It has very low overhead because the company operates at the houses of tutors or students. She pays her tutors roughly 4 times the going rate, reduces rates for people in need, and often provides free help. It's essentially a co-op amongst the workers. I fully support it. Of course, she has to spend a lot of money to be sure she doesn't run afoul of the IRS. You know, because they're the source of social justice, and will social justice her butt right into a cell if they feel an error warrants it.

I come from a place where an associates degree and a couple years of experience pays $11-$12:50 an hour. If many administrative and bookkeeping/accounting jobs where I am from were ok with less, why is it so important to raise the pay of fast food to $3/$4 more than that instead of focusing on how to help people stuck in fast food jobs get out of those jobs into something better?

Edited by Anastasia (L&T)

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2015, 8:16:09, Anastasia (L&T) said:

I come from a place where an associates degree and a couple years of experience pays $11-$12:50 an hour. If many administrative and bookkeeping/accounting jobs where I am from were ok with less, why is it so important to raise the pay of fast food to $3/$4 more than that instead of focusing on how to help people stuck in fast food jobs get out of those jobs into something better?

Sounds like a good idea. What do you propose to help people stuck in those types of jobs to get into something better?

I would think that a higher wage might better enable some of them to save money for things like education, etc.

1 hour ago, Peace said:

Sounds like a good idea. What do you propose to help people stuck in those types of jobs to get into something better?

I would think that a higher wage might better enable some of them to save money for things like education, etc.

Ah, but with the wrong industry around, they could get a BS and try for those same jobs making 11.00 to 12.50.

On the bright side, I think the BS in Nutrition I knew finally got something better than her 9 or 9.50 an hour kitchen job. Her degree didn't help her make more money than a fast food worker for a few years here. Why would a fast food employee save money for education to not make more money?

Edited by Anastasia (L&T)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2015, 7:35:58, Winchester said:

Let's do for college degrees what we've done for high school diplomas.

Make those institutions that give them baby sitters who ask very little learning, limited thinking, and preferably good standardized testing for a peice of paper when you put in your due years?

Or do you mean available through taxes to those with the fortitude, intellect, and lack abnormal, severe obstacles?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2015, 1:33:16, Anastasia (L&T) said:

Make those institutions that give them baby sitters who ask very little learning, limited thinking, and preferably good standardized testing for a peice of paper when you put in your due years?

Or do you mean available through taxes to those with the fortitude, intellect, and lack abnormal, severe obstacles?

I mean saturate the market and this make it meaningless. Supply and demand,  what,  what.