An Old School Catholic Message Board

Potential pen pal project (Don't you love alliteration?)

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

fiatpic

Last evening, I happened upon a post on the Fargo Diocese Vocations page on Facebook which inspired me with an idea for our Fiat.  A mother wrote in search of a religious sister to correspond with her young daughter as a "pen pal."

When I was just a novice, helping out with Mother-Daughter Days in Hankinson, I was similarly approached by a mother and twelve year old daughter, asking if we could be pen pals.  Eight years later, we are still in contact!  

I was thinking last night, while getting ready for bed, about the possibility of doing something on this blog, matching up interested girls and young women with sisters from our community to be pen pals.  

If you would be interested in taking part (either as a young person or as a corresponding Sister), please fill out this form. I think this could be a fun and beneficial program!

Edited by sr.christinaosf
text wrapping problem with photo

Dear Sister,

i noticed the the only options are for Franciscan sisters & young women interested in religious life. When I saw your title, I immediatedly thought of Maurice & Saint Therese. I think this is an excellent idea, and I'm hoping you will consider opening this idea up, unless this is only a means of vocational support for your community. Perhaps your community takes only young women, but so many saints were more mature as they entered religious life - Saint Rita, Saint Jane Frances de Chantal, Saint Teresa Benedicta and so, so many more!

Blessings,

Rose

sr.christinaosf

I'm not familiar with "Maurice and St. Therese" - I know of St. Therese but don't know exactly what you are inferring by this. Thanks.

AveMariaPurissima

I'm not familiar with "Maurice and St. Therese" - I know of St. Therese but don't know exactly what you are inferring by this. Thanks.

Maurice is Maurice Bellière, a young seminarian that St. Thérèse corresponded with.  Here's an article about it: https://www.osv.com/MyFaith/ModelsoftheFaith/Article/TabId/684/ArtMID/13728/ArticleID/11012/The-Missionary-and-the-Saint.aspx

I also recommend the book, Maurice and Therese: The Story of a Love, by Bishop Patrick Ahern, which includes the letters that Therese wrote to him.

:)

sr.christinaosf

The name is familiar, I guess.  

We'll just see how this goes.  The project was set up just as a way for young people to connect with sisters.  I think what you're referring to might be a whole other ministry all together, like offering spiritual direction via correspondence.  

Edited by sr.christinaosf

AveMariaPurissima

I do think that it's a very neat idea!! :) I hope it goes well and proves to be fruitful for all involved!!

sr.christinaosf

Thanks...I think it could be neat too.  Would you please join me in praying for the Holy Spirit's guidance when I go to match people up?  

:o)Katherine:o)

I think that this is a great idea Sr. Christina!  I hope that it is successful for your community!

Would it be possible to create it as a ministry including other communities? Not necessarily as a way of spiritual direction so to speak but as a way for people around the country or even around the world have interaction with sisters? There are many areas where a young child has never even met a sister before. It would be a great way to help sisters seem more relatable and down to earth. Maybe share with other communities nearby and see if there is a way to do a registry? I have heard of other communities doing an adopt a sister program where they are not only pen pals but that the person or family helps to provide stamps, paper, envelopes and even sends cake, ice cream etc. to celebrate birthdays and special occasions.

sr.christinaosf

We have six people who expressed interest...plus the mother of a four-year-old who offered that her daughter could send pictures though she can't read and write yet.

NadaTeTurbe

I'm not an english speaker, so I would be very interested to correspond with a sister in english :D 

sr.christinaosf

In that case, maybe email would be better due to the cost of postage (I'm guessing your not in the U.S.

sr.christinaosf

Seeing your username, do you speak Spanish, then?  I studied several years of Spanish in school.